Can we talk soil?

• 3 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Can we talk soil?
« on: May 21, 2022, 21:27 »
OK, I've confessed previously that I'm a geologist by profession, registered as a professional geologist (P.G.) in my home state of Georgia. My professional life has also intersected the agricultural world for most of my working life, so I'm  an absolute soil nerd as well.  I am also registered as a Soil Classifier in Georgia. 

So, I thought this would be a good place to put interesting information on things related to soil.

Interesting thing # 1:  today I re-discovered the latest version of a phone app called SoilWeb. I had an earlier version of this app two phones ago (2013  to 2015ish). What the app does is tell you the soil series that the US Department of Agriculture, Natural Resources Conservation Service has mapped on the spot where you are standing. You'll  be happy to hear that my vegetable plot is mapped as Cecil Sandy Loam, 2 to 6 percent slopes, moderately eroded. That is pretty much the conclusion I reached advancing a boring into the soil myself.

But wait, there's more... it also comes packed with information about that soil series, like thickness and characteristics of different soil horizons expected beneath the surface, engineering properties, drainage characteristics,, and suitability for agriculture (my soil is "moderately suitable for industrial hemp production for seed and fiber" Ahem  ::) 8) )

I have no idea if the app works in the UK, or only in the USA. If soil interests you, it might be worth a look, or maybe there is a similar app that works over there?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 22:47 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: Can we talk soil? Soil pH an nutrient availability.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 00:13 »
We often hear a recommendation to test soil, including testing for soil pH. The question that many people may have is why should a gardener do this?

The answer is that many plant nutrients are readily available for uptake by plants at a specific ranges of pH. If pH is too low (acidic) or too high (basic, or alkaline), plant nutrients may be present in the soil or compost, but the plants may not be able to take them up and use them. Some plant nutrients are most available at low pH (example, iron), some are most available at high pH (examples, potassium, sulfur, molybdenum), but there is a pH "sweet spot" that is close to the neutral range where most plant nutrients are adequately available for most plants.  Generally, that ideal pH range is slightly acidic to neutral, some advice says pH 6.0 to 6.5, other sources might say pH 6.0 to 7.0.  An easy guide is a chart, used all over the world, like the one at this website: https://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheet/fertilizing-vegetables/

Sometimes plants grown in a specific soil or compost will show plant abnormalities that point to plant nutrient deficiency (for example, yellow leaves, or leaf veins).  Checking the pH first may be a better first step than trying to add more nutrients to compensate for a pH problem.  The chart at that link shows that at pH 4 or 4.5, nutrient availability is very poor.  Yet, with many commercial composts (based on peat, or wood products, or something else), the pH is very low (often between pH 3.5 to 4.5).  Plants that germinated in such a compost,but stay in it too long, will start to show deficiency symptoms (this website https://landresources.montana.edu/soilfertility/nutrientdeficient/ shows photographic examples of many nutrient deficiencies). There is a link there to a free downloadable document, Plant Nutrient Functions and Deficiency and Toxicity Symptoms that can help anyone to diagnose nutrient problems.

You can test for pH using a soil test kit, there are many available, many have good instructions.  pH can also be measured using a pH meter; I personally don't trust any pH meter that is not calibrated to standards before you use it, and that is not temperature-compensated; most of the meters that meet those requirements are expensive.  You can get good results from the simple test kits at much lower cost; accuracy to a decimal point (or two, or three) is more than adequate. 

Soil or compost pH can be raised by adding lime or wood ash to it, and can be lowered by adding sulfur or an acidic compost.  Some soils react faster, or slower to pH change, in part due to the composition of the soil; resistance to pH change is called buffering capacity (I won't go into that much detail, but if you wan to know more, you can try https://www.agric.wa.gov.au/soil-acidity/soil-ph?page=0%2C1  That website has 3 pages, all of which have good information.).

I hope this information is useful to you.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 10:03 by Subversive_plot »

Hortic

Re: Can we talk soil?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2022, 21:17 »
ooooI I want to be your friend. I am also soil based, though as a (retired) Soil Scientist in Horticulture in the UK, and will look into that app. It can be hard to get people to take a passion for soil, especially protecting soil, seriously. Thank you.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: Can we talk soil?
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2022, 22:16 »
ooooI I want to be your friend. I am also soil based, though as a (retired) Soil Scientist in Horticulture in the UK, and will look into that app. It can be hard to get people to take a passion for soil, especially protecting soil, seriously. Thank you.

Hello Hortic!

I haven't seen a phone app yet that will give the same kind of detail in the UK as the one from NRCS.  Purdue University has an app called Soil Explorer that does at least let you see soil orders in specific locations, including by map and for your current location.  Sort of interesting, but maybe not horticulturally useful.

At the UK Soil Observatory web site http://www.ukso.org/, there is a UKSO Map Viewer that does present soil mapping at a more granular level. It has some Geographic Information Systems capabilities, so if a person can find their way around a GIS map or specify a location, there is a good amount of soil information presented in a database.

Residing in Athens, GA, my Cecil sandy loam is an Ultisol, a red soil formed from deep weathering of rock that is transitional from igneous to metamorphic (the local rock is a migmatite).  Our soils form on "saprolite" of rock that has been weathering in place since before there were dinosaurs; very old.  In some places our weathered rock goes down 70 feet or more. 

xx
soil

Started by doug hutch on General Gardening

16 Replies
Last post February 08, 2010, 19:04
by Jamie Butterworth
xx
TOP SOIL

Started by finster on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 10:22
by Runwell-Steve
xx
Wet soil

Started by GaryPaula on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 24, 2011, 09:00
by vegetable-gardener
xx
Bad soil

Started by Mr. Potato head on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post September 06, 2010, 15:15
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 42 queries.