Best recipe for roasting pork belly?

• 11 Replies

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
Best recipe for roasting pork belly?
« on: March 23, 2013, 14:53 »
Has anyone come across a fail safe recipe for roasting pork belly? We have tried Nigella (incinerated), Rick Stein (leathery skin and fat not fully cooked down) and Gok Wan (a bit dry).  This is getting to sound like Goldilocks!  :blush:

I'm aiming for a light crispy skin (like crackling) with the meat still juicy and the fat really cooked down and soft. (sorry - that now sounds like Nigella  :nowink: )

Any recipe tips gratefully received!

snowdrops

Re: Best recipe for roasting pork belly?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 18:56 »
I did one from the radio times but then lost it. But basically it was slow roasted with white wine for about 6 hours.I think you then turned the heat up drained the stock off & crisped the crackling,it was beautiful
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 19:27 »

Try this.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/782637/threehour-pork-belly

It works.   Nuff said.

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Elvira

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 16:31 »
Thanks Tony - I will definitely give it a try. It looks nice and simple which I find the best recipes usually are  ;)

Husband came back with pork loin in the end so am trying that Michel Roux Jr style (off Food & Drink the other week) but am determined to crack the secret of cooking belly pork!

Mrs Bee

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 23:19 »
It also helps to have a really good piece of free range pork with a good thick skin to start with.

I have done something similar to Tony's recipe but to get really good crackling it helps to put the pork onto a roasting rack in the sink and pour a kettleful of boiling water over the pork. Drain it, and pat it really dry with kitchen towels. Rub with oil and sprinkle with salt flakes. Then rub the spices and garlic on the meat.
Make little pockets under the skin with a sharp knife and rub the spices and garlic into that too.

You can leave this in the fridge over night and then carry on as the Good Food recipe.

If you want really great crisp skin on roast duck, pouring boiling water over the duck and patting the skin before roasting works brilliantly.

Elvira

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 14:10 »
Thanks Mrs B. The boiling water is also what Michel Roux suggests for the crackling on his roast pork loin. Will try it tonight!

Gryphon

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 18:06 »

Mrs Bee

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 20:21 »
Thanks Mrs B. The boiling water is also what Michel Roux suggests for the crackling on his roast pork loin. Will try it tonight!

Yes, I could be heard shouting at the telly at Michel that I had been doing this for a long,  long time. It was a tip given to me by a Chinese parent of one of my pupils many years ago :D :D

Try it with a roast duck! Brilliant crispy skin. ;)   Even better if you rub the duck after the boiling water with some salt and 5 spice powder.

Hope it works well this evening and you enjoy it.

Elvira

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 17:53 »
We enjoyed the roast pork loin but the crackling went soggy  >:(
I did the boiling water, dried the skin and rubbed in salt and once the joint was cooked I cut off the skin and put it back in on a baking tray to really crisp up for 20 mins. It was light and not sticky but lost its crispiness somewhere between oven and fork! (and we did give the gravy a clear berth round it!) It tasted good but after all that effort!  :ohmy:
Should I have put it on a rack on the tray rather than straight on the tray? I am determined to crack this!

Mrs Bee - I don't usually have a problem with getting a crispy skin on roast duck but will get the kettle boiling in readiness as we are having duck at the weekend!
Thanks for the link Gryphon but I am really hungry now! I'll have to have a go at that recipe - what a great piece of belly but would you expect anything less from the HB boys  :)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 20:47 »
The pork might have been a bit too newly slaughtered, and not had time to dry out.  I find that the best crackling comes from a free range pig.

You could try doing the boiling water bit the day before you want to eat the pork, dry it really well and leave it to dry overnight  in a cool place but not the fridge. That might help if it is a new pig.

When choosing pork if the skin is thick and darkish it makes better crackling than pork that has a damp wet pale skin.

Do you have access to a butcher that has free range pork?

Elvira

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 09:54 »
Aha!  That explains it - it was supermarket bought and was rather damp and pale (although the meat actually had a nice flavour).  We have a few good butchers nearby but it just depends where is open when we shop.  We'll have a go with some decent pork next time though! 
Thanks for the advice - you don't happen to do meals on wheels?!!  :lol:

Mrs Bee

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 18:49 »
No, fraid no meals on wheels but if you turn up on my doorstep you will be fed and watered. :D :lol:

Good luck with your quest for the perfect crackling. :D

xx
Pork belly

Started by Yorkie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post January 08, 2011, 16:21
by Yorkie
xx
Belly Pork

Started by Feeb on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post October 11, 2009, 16:57
by Feeb
xx
What's you favourite pork mince recipe?

Started by arugula on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

22 Replies
Last post September 03, 2010, 11:31
by arugula
xx
Slow cooked pulled pork - recipe query

Started by Yorkie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post September 05, 2022, 21:18
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 36 queries.