Where to buy land?

• 10 Replies

Caltrad

Where to buy land?
« on: November 06, 2011, 19:49 »
Hi All,

Just taken over an allotment and having great fun, but it's always been a desire of mine to buy a small field.

Nothing fancy, just somewhere I can grow stuff, sit and watch the world go by and somewhere the kids can run around.

Anything less than half an acre would be ideal, not looking to spend much more than 'agricultural' prices..

I have seen lots of places selling small plots of greenbelt at hugely inflated prices for land speculators but I'm not interested in this. I'm probably looking for a farmer who wants to get rid of a corner of a field or whatever?

Where is the best place to find such land? Have checked out local papers, internet etc and all that comes up is stuff at a stupid price.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Re: Where to buy land?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 20:04 »
I think you have a task ahead - most farmers sell land only when they're in dire straights or they can make crackers amounts of money by selling it to builders.

Don't forget you'll need to ensure you have legal access to the land as well.

Oh, and why not put your location in your profile in case someone knows of somewhere local to you.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Caltrad

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 20:19 »
Thanks for your reply, John.

That's probably why I have hit a brick wall!!

I'm after something too small for a farmer to be really bothered about and something that won't be attractive to delevopers. Essentially something that no one else would want.

Interesting point about access.

If I put "New Forest" it'd probably make me sound rich and posh which I'm not so have put location as "South Hampshire"..!

Spana

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 20:46 »
Somehow the smaller the  piece the more it makes.  :blink:

I'm not too well clued up on agricultural land prices but from bits of conversations I've over heard in my kitchen, 100 acres may make £10,000 an acre, 40 acres £15,000 an acre, 1-2 acres and you're talking  big money.  Especially if the rich chap who lives next door wants it for his daughters pony :D

But don't let me put you off looking ::) As John said there just might  be someone in dire straights. ::)

Oh, and there isn't any bit of land that's not attractive to developers.  My OH has bought what you would call rubbish bits of land that no one wanted and just waited for the right time . :)

Caltrad

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 21:31 »
Strange, isn't it?

I suppose the answer is to but 40 acres and sell off 39 at an extortionate price!!

(I'd then be able to afford to buy a ride on mower..!)

Pete C

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 19:29 »
I also have been looking for some land. Maybe an acre, pref with woodland. Kent,Surrey, Sussex. But I've found the same as you.....it doesn't exist. :(
Pete C

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 09:08 »
If you insist on looking in the expensive parts of the country then you're going to pay through the nose. Look at the 'edges' - Lincolnshire, Wales, Scotland for affordable land.

bluedog

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 16:02 »
hi
why not try your local rail company they have land all over the place just bits that they had to buy to let them move lines ect and its just sat over grown,have a look around rail lines and cannals you will soon see some then start asking around
good luck
 :D :D :D :D
In the good old days you could leave your back open and nobody would steal from you thats cus we had nothing

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 21:53 »
Best to look at local property auctions they will sometimes sell of the odd plot try that online auction site or do the leg work get a good knowledge of local agricultural land prices and look for a bit of low grade land that would fit the bill and put an offer into the owner with a no build clause or the chance to revalute if its developed . google woodland / land for sale in? you may be suprised 3 acres of land on the somerset levels with no mains fetched less than 10 k just a year ago
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 22:17 »
Clive Emson operates in your area but only have a large plot of 6.5 acres on their listings for this month at the moment (200k price-range).  The other land plots are in urban areas.  I am on their newsletter list as I am always curious what comes up for sale, so its worth joining and keeping your eyes open.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 22:21 »
The question was first asked in November last year, and the OP hasn't visited the Forum since January - so I don't think we really need to worry about it now  ;)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 22:22 by mumofstig »

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 39 queries.