What to plant in area suffered from blight infected tomatoes last season

• 3 Replies

elliottk

Hello all,
I have a patch in the garden where I have grown tomatoes for 2 years but last year the patch suffered blight from the tomatoes.  In September I pulled up all the plants and roots from the patch and destroyed them but i'm wondering if it is ok to use same area for tomatoes again or is it too much of a risk?

I have put some manure on the area.

If I don't use tomatoes is there another crop that is ok after blight suffering toms? 
I am thinking broad beans and cucumbers?

Many thanks,
Kevin   :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Blight comes in the air rather than from your soil, that being said it's not a good plan to keep growing a crop in the same soil year after year :(

So anything else, apart from potatoes - which are the same family as tomatoes, would be fine. Perhaps grow some toms in pots this year?  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
Only tomatoes and potatoes are affected by this form of blight - broad beans and cucumbers would not be affected at all, although at least you seem to have done a good job of minimising the chances of it starting from your plot (blight is spread by airborne spores and germinate in warm, humid conditions, so it's a bit of a lottery for all outdoor toms and spuds every year.)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

elliottk

Thanks. Toms are growing nicely on the windowsill at present.  Maybe I will put them in pots and growbags this year. 

I'll put some broad beans in the area that had the toms.   :)

xx
blight on infected ground overwintering?

Started by gardener247 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 13, 2010, 17:33
by goodegg
xx
Blight in the area

Started by lightyears on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 14, 2008, 21:12
by Michael D
xx
blight alert in the sy10 area

Started by philskin on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 04, 2008, 19:10
by Oliveview
xx
What to plant in flood prone area

Started by WendysLot on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 10, 2012, 14:42
by Trillium

Page created in 0.403 seconds with 40 queries.