Computer speeds and capacity etc

• 12 Replies

mrs bouquet

Computer speeds and capacity etc
« on: July 30, 2019, 12:45 »
I have been thinking of changing back from Sky to BT for my landline and broadband.   I had online dialogue this morning with them trying to find out if the package I saw advertised will meet my needs.    However, the voice told me I could add-on 1571 for another £10/month.   But was really only interested in telling me about how fast it will go.    As an average (or maybe slightly less) user, how fast does it need to go  :wacko:
Your explanations will help me, thanks,   Mrs Bouquet  PS:  I don't know how fast it goes at the moment !
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

ches

• Experienced Member
Re: Computer speeds and capacity etc
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 13:00 »
Afternoon Mrs B.

Follow the link below and click start speed test.
https://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/

The speed you need really does depend what you plan to do over the internet. If its just normal internet usage and streaming through your TV such as Netflix or sky on demand etc the minimum speed you need is usually about 5Mbps (download speed).

For gaming online, you'd be looking at about 15Mbps as a minimum.

Hope that helps.

Ches
Ches

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 13:56 »
MB, do you want to be a naughty girl and do games on-line? Er, I don't think that's for you!  :lol: I've always been with BT since I retired and got my new pc. Having said that, I live in a remote place so try doing a speed-check to see what's available for you. BT may be a bit more expensive but I do like the haggling bit to get a better price and I've never had a problem with them. Hope that helps.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

jaydig

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 15:25 »
Mrs B, I changed from BT to Sky and haven't had any problems.  As most of my family now have mobiles, but no longer use their landlines, I also added on free calls to mobiles for an additional charge. We use our landline more often than not, and have found the free Sky Talkshield very useful as we were beginning to receive numerous nuisance calls, but now don't get any at all as you choose who you wish to speak with, but can block anything else.
As had already been said, it depends on your own usage and how you use your phone, but I'd never go back to BT, who were exceedingly rude to me when they realised they couldn't persuade me to stay with them.
The changeover was easy, problem free and a fair bit cheaper than BT.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 16:46 »
Ha Ha, naughty games (I didn't even know you could get them).    I have enough trouble trying to send you all photos of my garden.    No, I just have the landline (no mobile, no TV) and broadband.  I use that to talk to you guys, send and receive emails, and look stuff up, like plants, cooking, where is cheapest to buy etc etc.
My life is very shallow compared to many  ::)  Oh, I do use Amazon and buy from others sometime.

My Sky does tell me who is calling me, but does not display the incoming number.   Also I cannot send or receive texts, and the answering machine doesn't seem to work now.  It just tells callers, that I am unavailable.  If I could correct at least two out of three, I will stay put.   It seems to be a lot less than my £60+ monthly bill I used to get from BT.   Is there a chance I could do these things ?  Mrs Bouquet

DanielCoffey

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 18:25 »
Anything between 5Mbps and 10Mbps download speed would be fine for casual use.

For example one YouTube video takes about 5Mbps (perhaps 8Mbps if you watch it full screen).

See if they have a 40Mbps down, 10Mbps up basic package and don't pay any more for faster as you simply won't use it, even if they try to tempt you with an "introductory offer". They will try to sell you more than you need on , say, an 18 month discounted contract in the hope that you will forget and carry on paying the standard (higher) price after the 18 months are up. Stick to your guns and only take what you need.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 10:47 »
This link will give you a list of all the broadband options available at your premises (which will be available from various suppliers), and This link
will give you the options, and prices, if you decide to go with BT.

As others have said, your speed requirements will be minimal for your type of usage.

Since you will be moving your phone line as well, although you have to pay line rental to enable to broadband to work, you need to think about what sort of call plan you need to make sure you are not paying for something you don't need - caller display should be provided at no extra cost, but there will be many other options, including free evening and/or weekend calls, free 'anytime' calls, inclusive calls to mobiles, etc. etc.

As DanielCoffey and Goosegirl have already mentioned, when your contract ends don't roll over and pay the new price - a good idea is to find the best price for the same package from another supplier, and then ask your supplier to match it (they probably won't, but you're almost certain to save money if you persist.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2019, 11:02 »
That's a shame if someone from BT was rude over the phone as I've always found them very polite. Last time my yearly contract was due I rang up to renew it but also asked how I could reduce the price. She went through what I use broadband for and, as I'm like MB, I told her it's just for emails and surfing the net so I got a good deal.

jaydig

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2019, 16:36 »
That's a shame if someone from BT was rude over the phone as I've always found them very polite. Last time my yearly contract was due I rang up to renew it but also asked how I could reduce the price. She went through what I use broadband for and, as I'm like MB, I told her it's just for emails and surfing the net so I got a good deal.
It was only the one instance GG, and in all fairness perhaps she was having a bad day.  We none of us know what is going on in someone else's life, do we, but as it was the last conversation I had with BT, it's the one that I, unfortunately, remember.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2019, 19:40 »
Sorry I didn't mean to imply that the operative was rude.   This was an online conversation, and they did send me a copy of the transcript.  I am sure he was actually very efficient,  but he did keep asking what package I wanted, and going on about speeds etc.    I did explain what I need it for,  but for somebody more computer literate than me I am sure his info was very good.   Mrs Bouquet   

jaydig

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2019, 08:43 »
I hope you manage to get things sorted out Mrs B.  I agree it's an absolute minefield trying to work out exactly what you need.  I tend to ask my son, who usually loses me after the first couple of sentences, as I'm afraid techno is a language I don't speak.  It would be wonderful if you could tell someone exactly what you do, and what you need and for them to say "Yes, this is the package that you need - it will be perfect for you", but it rarely happens. It would be wonderful if we could have a month's trial with whatever they recommend, and then tweak it free of charge if it doesn't work for us, so that we do get what we need in the end.

grinling

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 21:51 »
Bt does caller service for free providing you have a phone which can do this. Include an answer phone and save the £10 1571 service. You might have to pay extra with sky for number display

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2019, 12:18 »
My desk top is a Dell 530s  ive had three mother boards  and the last time about a month ago with the last
m/board i had  a one terra byte hard drive from a sky +box put in ,,,
My bill with sky was £140 a month   i was for the first time i was having trouble login in to yahoo i phoned up and they told me yahoo had been hacked anyway it got sorted back on line, my download speed 52  50mb/s
and upload 14.36 mb/s.
Because i have been with sky for 20 years 3months and 5days the lady said that £140 {tell me about it} seems a bit high i am now a diamond vip and my bill is now £88,  happy days.
Colin

xx
PCs, laptops and speeds...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

21 Replies
Last post February 10, 2023, 06:56
by Growster...
xx
computer problem

Started by azubah on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post December 19, 2017, 09:51
by azubah
xx
computer reliance

Started by wighty on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post November 02, 2020, 11:59
by al78
xx
More Computer Advice Please

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

30 Replies
Last post July 19, 2018, 22:13
by grinling

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 53 queries.