I wish I'd planted..............

• 14 Replies

jaydig

I wish I'd planted..............
« on: July 28, 2014, 08:28 »
This is the first year that I didn't bother trying to grow melons in the greenhouse. I really wish I had! With all the hot weather we've been having my greenhouse is like a rainforest - you need a machete to get through it. Two 'Cucino' cucumber plants, just dibbed in behind the tomatoes because I hadn't got the heart to throw them away after they had struggled to germinate, are taking over. The tomatoes are dripping with fruit, two pepper plants are now about five feet high, and have loads of peppers, and a couple of ailing pot plants that I threw in there to revive are growing like crazy.

I bet next year, when I try with melons again, we'll not have the same lovely weather. Ahh well!

Springlands

Re: I wish I'd planted..............
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 09:52 »
I am the same with sweetcorn - did not bother this year because it had not done well for a few years - and now this year we have had ideal weather.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 21:20 »
More tomatoes.  I have a hate-hate relationship with them, had my first decent few ever last year (Alicante), but doing really well this year with loads of cherry tomatoes- they suit me and the family so much better.  Finger crossed about the tigerella and banana leggs coming through ok.

Just wish I'd not given up on the biggies as my neighbour has the most beautiful marmande. 

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 21:24 »
Late sweetpeas to take over from those that have now finished  :(
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 22:01 »
Sprouts, now that I have a second plot and somewhere to put them :-(
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 08:10 »
Autumn and winter PSB. The summer stuff has been disappointing, lovely big healthy plants due to the humid weather but blind or no 'sprouts' and the flavour is not as nice. Last year, even though it was mild for Bulgaria, it didn't cope with winter but I wish I had given it another try. On the lookout for a small polytunnel.

rosiecider

• Experienced Member
  • rosiecider
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 10:57 »
White cabbage love coleslaw and love the cabbage although as a newbie brassicas are not a strong point yet
:D I garden therefore I am

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 11:49 »
I wish I'd planted...a money tree!   ;)

Or one of those fancy spaghetti trees from 1957...when the Beeb had a sense of humour!

beesrus

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 15:42 »
White cabbage love coleslaw and love the cabbage although as a newbie brassicas are not a strong point yet
Fear not Rosie, white cabbage like greyhound and primo varieties grow really easily and quickly when the bed is up to scratch with enough nutrients. If in doubt, pile on the chicken manure pellets before planting. Keep off the pests, and you'll be in clover.

I wish I had planted my cherries years ago. It's frustrating on an allotment waiting for fruit bushes/trees to mature.

jaydig

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 16:27 »
I wish I'd planted...a money tree!   ;)

Or one of those fancy spaghetti trees from 1957...when the Beeb had a sense of humour!

Didn't you know they sold cuttings from that tree? I ordered one, and now it's mature it will also produce taglietelle, and if you prune it correctly, linguine on the lower branches. It does like to have companion plants of tomato, garlic and basil planted around it.

rosiecider

• Experienced Member
  • rosiecider
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 16:32 »
Fear not Rosie, white cabbage like greyhound and primo varieties grow really easily and quickly when the bed is up to scratch with enough nutrients. If in doubt, pile on the chicken manure pellets before planting. Keep off the pests, and you'll be in clover.

I wish I had planted my cherries years ago. It's frustrating on an allotment waiting for fruit bushes/trees to mature.
Thanks for the info even oop North would it not be too late .. could start off in the green house ... must dash for greyhound or primo yum :D

beesrus

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 16:56 »
I think you might be stretching it to get those cabbages done this year out of doors, Rosie. I meant more next Spring really.
However, nothing lost, maybe transplant or just sow them into the greenhouse border, if you have a border in there, and let them grow there until November, and they might just squeeze in, but not out of doors I wouldn't have thought. Cabbage won't do well in pots unless they're the size of a planet. By the time they're up and growing, much of the heat brassicas don't like might have disappeared from your greenhouse, and you'll be left with perfect temperature conditions for a couple of months, as if they were growing in the Spring.

A goldenacre was mentioned  on another thread, that's a primo I think. Primos and greyhounds are mainly "Summer cabbage" and usually take about 14 to 16 weeks to mature, or at least mine always have. I certainly grow the greens of  PSB well in my greenhouse down here over Winter, so just maybe you'll just mange some half decent Summer cabbage before the Winter draws in. A poly/greenhouse usually elongates the season a good 6 weeks if were lucky with the weather.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 17:02 by beesrus »

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 17:08 »
...less potatoes!

The reason why we filled ten 8' x 4' beds with them was because we're letting go the smaller half plot this autumn, but the crop has been so good, we'll be way past Christmas on the Charlotte, and I don't think they'll last that long:0(

I wish I'd sown more carrots in pots and grown them high up on staging (behind the greenhouse), as the lot I sowed a couple of weeks ago, have just taken off:p)

By the way Jaydig, lasagna was also formed from using a plane on exactly the same tree!

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 17:19 »
...less potatoes!

Snap! On current yields I have 15kg of spuds still sitting in the ground and about 10kg in the kitchen in sacks. Time to get the dehydrator working at full pelt!

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 19:10 »
Didn't you know they sold cuttings from that tree? I ordered one, and now it's mature it will also produce taglietelle, and if you prune it correctly, linguine on the lower branches. It does like to have companion plants of tomato, garlic and basil planted around it.

Ha! Any chance of a link where to buy one...would save me having to make the stuff!

xx
ive just planted/set....

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post October 14, 2007, 22:34
by gobs
xx
What have you planted already????

Started by Tommy54321 on Grow Your Own

37 Replies
Last post April 04, 2021, 10:03
by jaxter
xx
anyone planted yet

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post March 06, 2015, 19:17
by Twitch
xx
what can be planted now?

Started by evie2 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 30, 2010, 21:12
by RosieMay

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 29 queries.