Hen with jelly in droppings

• 12 Replies

ndbruton

Hen with jelly in droppings
« on: August 07, 2011, 09:26 »
Hello all,

First time poster in need of some help please! It's been a harrowing few weeks after firstly losing one hen to egg peritonitis, another suddenly dying last weekend and two others currently on antibiotics (baytril) after we noticed runny noses, sneezing a wheezing in them earlier this week. All seemed to be returning to normal until yesterday when our black rocks poops became very jelly like with what resembles overbooked egg yolk within the jelly. I'm guessing the jelly may be mucus, although someone else may know better. She's also very withdrawn which is very unusual for her as she's normally the troublemaker, and although I have seen her eating her appetite seems much less. Drinking doesn't seem to be a problem. Oh and I have checked the very useful poop guide but it doesn't seem to indicate this type of poop unfortunately!

She will be off to the vets again tomorrow anyway, but in the meantime any info to help me understand what's going on will be  really appreciated.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Hen with jelly in droppings
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 09:31 »
possibly this could have been a soft shelled or shell-less egg. They do look unwell whilst going through the process of laying these as it takes a lot out of them. Do they have access to crushed oyster shells?
Staffies are softer than you think.

ndbruton

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 09:40 »
Thanks for the reply. Yes she does have access, I should also have mentioned that her rear end seems to be twitching a lot as well so you could well be right.

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 10:28 »
just wanted to wish you good luck with your hen.  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

helens-hens

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 17:34 »
Let us know how you get on at the vets. When going round the garden a couple of hours ago poopicking I noticed that 1 dropping had a very small amount of a colourless jelly (though no yolk) in it and my first thought was egg white.

One of mine has been consistently laying softies for a while so this seems to make sense. Hope everything turns out OK for your hen.
Helen

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 01:55 »
It could be egg white or it could be mucous as you originally suggested. 

I read an article recently where a professor of veterinary science at one of the US universities suggested Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) in the chicken's water for this situation.

The idea is that the chicken will build up mucous in the digestive system as a result of irritation from an infection.  The heavy mucous coating will help protect from the infection, but it also 'protects' the intestine from properly absorbing nutrients and medications.

This professor suggested putting a couple of tablespoons of ACV in each litre of drinking water, to help cut through the mucous.

In my opinion it certainly won't hurt to add ACV to the drinking water, and it might help.  Certainly discuss this with your vet if you have any doubts.

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 07:02 »
thats interesting Lindeggs as I have long been an advocate of apple cider vinegar and garlic  :)

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 22:46 »
I bookmark all these articles as I find them, but somehow I can never find them again!  I need a better cross-referencing system.  :unsure:  I will post the link when I eventually do find it again.  I'm pretty sure the prof was from the University of Mississippi.

Joyfull of course the other thing ACV may help with is to prevent kidney stones if a pullet has accidentally had too much calcium early in life, before she has reached POL.

ndbruton

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 19:31 »
Update on my black rock - a double blow for her I am afraid, she had become withdrawn due to having a nail wedged in her abdomen so no wonder she hasn't looked happy. Additionally the 'jelly' and yolk type substance in her dropping is because she has developed egg peritonitis. So faced with the moral dilemma of do we operate or do we put her to sleep, we opted for the former to at least give her a fighting chance and depending on your point of view I'm either crazy for going to the expense or I'm truly devoted to my girls! Funny how I (and I am sure many others) bought chickens purely thinking of eggs, yet become so attached to them when you see just how much personality they have!

She is still at the vets so fingers crossed Molly makes it and resumes normal service shortly!

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 19:34 »
fingers crossed for her, keep us posted xx

bantam novice

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 20:17 »
All the best of luck.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 20:18 »
Our thoughts are with you and Molly.  Hope it has a happy outcome.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 20:58 »
Will kepp my fingers crossed thet Molly does well.

question
DROPPINGS

Started by leggygirls on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 26, 2010, 23:12
by Bonniebean
xx
watery droppings

Started by Tigerwren on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 14, 2010, 19:00
by Tigerwren
xx
Droppings board

Started by davepitch on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 26, 2008, 16:22
by Bodger
xx
firming up their droppings

Started by CattinJ on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 09, 2013, 17:32
by Springlands

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 39 queries.