New Allotment

• 17 Replies

bouldbird

New Allotment
« on: January 23, 2008, 22:44 »
Hello,just thought i would pick your brains as i need some help.Just got new allotment last week after being on the waiting list for 3 years.How have an allotment which has been left for about 4 years (from what other people have said).

Question:
Do i cut everything down and dig over that way
or
Spray with Round up so all the weeds go and long grass die off then start.

Im very happy to work through the hard way but on talking to others i keep hearing Round up.I not to sure what to do for the best.

Will it affect the way the veg will grow?

Selkie

New Allotment
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 22:49 »
Hi BB,

It would probably depend on whether you want to garden organically or not I guess...

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
allotment
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 22:55 »
I took over an allotment about 18 months ago, it was not in a too bad condition as the previous owner had only just departed this mortal coil, BUT it wasovergrown with weeds, grass and few escapee veg relics..... dug over one strip, cleaned it all by hand , boy hard work so, strimmed the other two and covered with old carpet and black plastic for a whole year. The cleaned strip was planted up with pots, beans, carrots, onions etc..... The two covered strips now beckon! Good luck
Death OR Cake ???

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
New Allotment
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 09:09 »
Have a look at Johns article on starting off a new plot, he gives loads of good sound advice, also search for the subjects, again you will have lots to read on these cold winter nights. Welcome to the forum, its mad place that is really addictive.  :lol:
Here is the link, but just go to the information link at the top for more good advice
http://www.allotment-garden.org/articles/Clearing_a_New_Allotment.php
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Fiona

New Allotment
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 09:36 »
Good luck. I really envy you. I just found out I am third on the waiting list this morning for an allotment. It is a big improvement when I joined the list at number eight. Have loads of fun.
Fiona
A British Gardener Abroad

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
New Allotment
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 23:04 »
too cold for Roundup, the best time for glyphosate is actually nearer the summer when broad leaved weeds are flowering as the plant flow starts to reverse and go backwards into the rhizome etc (for perennials) that way it kills the top growth and the below ground root too.  

For annuals you are best spraying when it is warmer and weeds are actively growing, it will work now but very slow and you will miss the Spring flush of weeds so i would wait, assuming you want to use Roundup of course.

I would concentrate on a small bit and start digging it over now removing as many tap roots /rhizomes etc as possible and burn those.  In about 6-8 weeks the weeds will start to grow with a vengeance so maybe cover the areas you are not going to plant up this Spring.

Cawdor
Used to be indecisive, now i'm not so sure...

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
New Allotment
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 23:21 »
You can't beat hand digging it and removing all (or rather as much as possible) of the weed roots.

fatbelly

New Allotment
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 23:33 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
You can't beat hand digging it and removing all (or rather as much as possible) of the weed roots.

Totally agree, my plot which I took over last May was knee deep in couch, dock and mares tail.
I tried round up and it had limited success, then I went onto hand digging and removing all the weeds and roots and this has worked.
It can't grow if its not there and hand digging and removing gets it out for good.
It takes much much longer but you will be soooo glad in the long run.
FB
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

jolly jen

• Experienced Member
  • half of my crop of BNS & pumpkins
New Allotment
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 15:37 »
i have just got my plot after about 6mths of waiting,having viewed it i noticed how many empty plots there are  there,trouble is in southampton the renewal year is oct/oct,if they dont hear they are given three mths notice,then offered to new plot holders,trouble is my this time there are in such a mess people are often put off.My plot has been left for a few years,once it was the best plot there i was told.I have a shed .a bath and an oil drum,and a shed full of tools  has been left,so not a bad start,i want to be an Organic Gardener,so i have lots of hard  work ahead,and lots to learn along the way
Self-sufficient in rasberries and onions....

Trillium

New Allotment
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 16:18 »
Jolly Jen, if you want to be organic, then get hold of any of the  Bob Flowerdew books. He's strictly organic, very practical and low key, and doesn't kill everything in sight. A good read during those rainy spells to help hone your future skills.

nipper31

• Experienced Member
New allotment
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 16:49 »
I am also a new allotmenteer, since inheriting my derelict plot in September 2007. The weeds were dying down anyway by then, but I still sprayed with Roundup on the ones that were still there. I'm expecting them to come back with a vengeance this spring though...

My main concern is pest control for the crops I would like to grow. Does anyone buy and use natural predators that you can get mail order, such as nemaslug etc... I don't want to waste my money if these products don't work.

I hope to be as organic as possible eventually. I have read that if you persevere a natural balance will be created but I know I'll have to patient and prepared for a few disasters along the way...

Jan

beansticks

New Allotment
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 19:02 »
Good luck with your plot,cant help thinking about the previous tenant who did nothing for 4 years,yet you had to wait nearly 3 years for it.What a waste of a plot.  :?

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
New Allotment
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 22:08 »
Don't understand these people who want an allotment but have an aversion to hard work (not you Jolly Jen) ...it is hard work, particularly starting from scratch but immensely satsifying.  In my opinion if it comes easy it ain't worth having...unless it's loads of money of course  :wink:

Cawdor

fatbelly

New Allotment
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 23:44 »
Quote from: "cawdor2001"
Don't understand these people who want an allotment but have an aversion to hard work (not you Jolly Jen) ...it is hard work, particularly starting from scratch but immensely satisfying.  In my opinion if it comes easy it ain't worth having...unless it's loads of money of course  :wink:

Cawdor

Totally agree.

noshed

New Allotment
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 23:51 »
Don't know much about nemaslug etc - bear in mind that some of these things work best in a confined space ie greenhouse or tunnel.
I use the odd pellet but I mainly try to use barriers - cut off pop bottles against slugs, fleece and netting against butterflies. Last year that worked fairly well but you have to accept some losses.
Encourage natural predators. I'm still trying to work out what's the best remedy for blackfly - last year it was mainly the compost heap.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

xx
Which allotment shall I have

Started by jackiestagg on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 06, 2007, 21:16
by jackiestagg
xx
Why You Have An Allotment?

Started by Glen on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post February 06, 2008, 09:50
by gobs
xx
First allotment

Started by davel149 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 08, 2013, 21:46
by mrswashi
xx
New allotment

Started by lydia56 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 13, 2010, 22:21
by Togalosh

Page created in 0.437 seconds with 39 queries.