Grooming/trimming Cav

• 7 Replies

littlewitch

Grooming/trimming Cav
« on: August 22, 2009, 08:17 »
Morning All,  Can any of you advise please - Our daughter & s-i-l have year old cav which we have Mon-Fri 9-5 whilst they're at work, we keep his feet & rear -end trimmed but are wondering, as he's not a show dog just a pet, if he needs all over trim as he's looking a bit scruffy despite brushing.  Not sure about this, as our Cocker Spaniel gets a good short back & sides once a year during summer and seems to benefit from it.  Most sites we've looked up say that a Cav doesn't need trimming if showing - but give NO advice if just a pet.

Many thanks for any advice.  :)

Roughlee Handled

Re: Grooming/trimming Cav
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 09:10 »
Please tell me what a Cav is.

Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 09:13 »
I'm guessing, as they have a cocker spaniel, that a cav is a cavalier spaniel.

But then again, I am one spaniel short of a toolbox. :lol:
Cheese makes everything better.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 09:17 »
well when I googled Cav I got something about Cavalier crossed with a Eskimo!!!!!

Steve.B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 11:44 »
Come on guys & gals!!!! Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. We are the proud owner of three  of this beautiful breed. In the past I have used hair clippers and taken their body hair right back short, especially when the weather is very hot. You can get them tidied up at groomers. This year I haven't touched them expect to trim feet and trim back feathers and tidy  the ears. I think I prefer to leave them with their hair long and just tidied up when needed.

MODs......I'm not sure if I'm allowed to past on other sites but a fantastic site all about this gorgeous breed is c.k.c.s if you go on it lookout for us on there under cavlover.

new_IMGP3935_copy.jpg

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 13:27 »
They are gorgeous!  :D That pic reminded me of a portrait i did not so long ago for someone but when i looked its only 2 dogs and they were cockers!  :nowink:

I trim my cocker! i use clippers on her face, neck, back and sides but i leave all her feathers and ears. she does get very knotty, and if you try to brush her she just bites the brush so once a year she goes to the beauty parlour to be completely sheared!  :blink: she comes back looking like a tiny black lab rather than a cocker  :lol:

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Susan K

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 14:26 »
not sure if I should admit this  :wub:but I am a dog groomer to trade and have been grooming for over 20years, CKCS should be hand stripped but for pets clipping is easier, so in answer to you post yes he could go to the groomers to be trimmed up, but please make sure his owners are happy for it to be done before you take him  :D

littlewitch

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 16:23 »
thanks one & all,  Looks like daughter & s-i-l will have to book him into a groomers to have his first proper tidy up cos he really is looking a right little scruff!! (Sorry no pics, still haven't worked out how to on here) Its such a shame cos when he's good (still typically  a pup so chews what he shouldn't) he can be sooo cute but being very wispy, straggly etc it does spoil the effect!!

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 39 queries.