cherry jam recipe

• 2 Replies

Maryann

• Experienced Member
cherry jam recipe
« on: August 01, 2012, 09:13 »
Hi everyone
Jam making season and busy busy busy but just wondered if anyone has made the cherry jam using recipe on here?
It states just 2 1/2 lbs of sugar to 4 lbs cherries and normally the quantities of fruit to sugar are about the same. Also it does not mention adding pectin just lemon juice. I know from last year how hard it is to get cherry jam to set as it is so very low in natural pectin.

I have no problem using the powder pectin and add it to soft fruit when needed (sorry but I cannot tell the difference in the taste when using powder pectin and think there is a lot of snobbery attached to the use of it - or not).

Anyway - I have my fruit all prepped and ready to get going so if anyone has time to reply this morning I would be grateful for any feedback on using less sugar. I wonder if it affects the set and keeping qualities?
Thanks everyone.
I Came.....I Saw......I Composted

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: cherry jam recipe
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 10:32 »
Val's recipe actually tells you to test for pectin at step 3, then you decide whether to add pectin or not.

If you feel they won't set anyway, then add it  ;)

Maryann

• Experienced Member
Re: cherry jam recipe
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 12:00 »
Yes - I did see that but to be honest that always confuses the hell out of me and I know from the books I have on preserving that the cherries I have are really really low in pectin.
Last batch I made with them I used 4lbs cherries, 3lbs sugar, juice 2 lemons, 1½ pkts powder pectin, and several cubes of my own frozen apple juice pectin and it still wouldn't set. Added certo in the end  :(

xx
good recipe for cherry pie?

Started by plum crumble on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post July 25, 2013, 11:39
by plum crumble
xx
Cherry Jam

Started by Riala on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post May 04, 2009, 15:28
by mumofstig
xx
Cherry Jam - not setting

Started by Maryann on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

24 Replies
Last post July 07, 2014, 16:57
by Maryann
xx
Cherry tomatoes

Started by Yorkie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

13 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 21:14
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 29 queries.