flubenvet

• 8 Replies

Sgun

flubenvet
« on: February 02, 2015, 20:00 »
We have just wormed our hens as they were showing signs that they had them. Now they are fine and back to their normal selves. Our problem is that we don't have quite enough flubenvet left to do another 7 days worming in 21 days time. However, I am wondering as it is the middle of winter and freezing would this matter? I believe that worm eggs can't mature in low temperatures and hard frosts like we have had recently would have killed any eggs anyway.

Would you leave the second round out altogether or just go with what we have which is enough to do about 5 days? I can't find Flub1% in stock at the minute for a reasonable price and don't really want to get layers as I'm not sure how long the medication in them remains viable.

Thanks.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: flubenvet
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 08:32 »
Do you have a regular worming routine Sgun ?  The re-treatment after 3 weeks is for birds on ground with known heavy worm infestations and I'm not so sure heavy frosts will wipe out all the eggs. It depends on your own circumstances, but the trouble is, the first dose of flubenvet may be wasted if you need to do the second dose and don't follow up.

I worm every 6 months as routine and I also give my birds garlic regularly to help keep worms down.  I buy the dried granulated garlic sold for horses and a big bag is only about £5  :)

I haven't bought flubenvet for a while, so I'm not sure where is cheapest at the moment, but other forum members may have some advice there  :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 08:50 »
Just done a bit of tinternet research and it seems there is a manufacturing delay until March 2015, which is probably why the price has gone through the roof  :(

If you pop your location into your profile, it may be a forum member can help out by either swapping you some flubenvet for feed or something (buying and selling is a no-no on this forum, but swapsies are fine), or maybe could share some medicated pellets with you, if they need to worm their birds as well  :)

Sgun

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 09:15 »
We do have a regular worming routine, every 4 months as their run is static, they free range but only over a smallish area when we are around (quite a lot as we both work from home). We do use crushed garlic in the water as we grow our own so popping some in is no bother. We also use Nettex ground powder in the run every few weeks so doing our best to keep the worm numbers down.

I'll probably get some medicated layers, despite us having temperatures of -5 overnight a few times recently.

ghost61

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 10:59 »
What were the signs that they had worms?  I have some flubenvet that I can send you to cover the extra days if you really need it.  The pellets have a short life span and would see you through to your next worming, given your schedule.

You know your hens best but I keep mine in similar circumstances to you and a local vet checks them for me every so often and so far no sign of any infestations at all.  I worm every six months and they free range in the back garden for most days unless we are out and then they are kept in their static run,  same as you.

PM me if you need the flubenvet.

Mum2mj

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 11:05 »
Hi I recently ordered from viovet - it was the cheapest I could find it (still not cheap though!) I was really impressed with their dispatch time - it arrived the next day  :D. They sent me a £3 voucher code for orders over £20, happy to give it to you if you use them, just pm me

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 13:31 »
To only worm for five days is a no no. This is how horse worms have built up resistance to wormers and antibiotics are not as successful as they once were. We only have one wormer for chooks it is important to use it carefully to avoid similar problems. Sorry lecture over :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Sgun

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 13:51 »
ha ha Sassy, not to worry a lecture is fine, I did know really that 5 days wouldn't be good enough. I personally don't use antibiotics on the hens because of the issues that we are now having globally, if they get really sick and don't respond to normal care and isolation they get culled (sorry!).

ghost61 that's really kind of you to offer, I will get the layers though, and thanks mum2mj too for the offer. Signs were a bit of lethargy, some yellowy runny poo and some watery whitish poo too, a little off feed. Funnily enough it was this time last year that we had worm problems too - could see them in their poo, despite the same worming routine. The winter was quite mild last year though. I do sometimes do a sort of faecal float test (not a very professional one!) and check under the microscope for signs of any baddies but didn't this time. We have spotted worms and eggs before so I think we have fairly infested ground, possibly due to the pheasants etc. They are completely back to normal now after worming but who knows?

This spring I'm going to change the area where they free range and lime the one they have been using. We have a fair amount of space so swapping it round just means moving the fences.

Thanks everyone!

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 08:47 »
No need to be sorry. Culling is often a fairer way for the chooks especially when veterinary care is so hard to come by.

You seem to have it all sorted re your ground your plans sound perfect :)

xx
Flubenvet

Started by Mildredsmum on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 29, 2010, 12:29
by Aunt Sally
xx
Sorry - Flubenvet Again

Started by Hitman on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post July 15, 2015, 12:53
by New shoot
xx
flubenvet

Started by JACDORE on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 18:51
by hillfooter
xx
flubenvet?

Started by mickwood on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 08:39
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 40 queries.