Frost
« on: May 02, 2020, 09:47 »
Yikes the met office are predicting a possible frost here tonight  :(

Am trying to think of a way of fleecing my entire plot  :unsure:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Frost
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 09:51 »
Not everything needs frost protection - what have you got planted?

Grubbypaws

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 10:10 »
Potatoes are all up and courgettes are out. Borlottis are in unheated mini greenhouse. I can probably get a heater into the greenhouse and husband is exploring old tent awnings in the garage!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 10:20 »
Can you earth up the potatoes some more, so that only the very tops get frosted, if it does get that cold?
Fleece courgettes, although it was a chance planting them this early anyway, wasn't it? Can you usually get away with planting them out this early? I can't until mid-May.. still time to grow more if they don't make it ;)

I'd just cover the mini-greenhouse with debris netting, or an old blanket/quilt for the night, frost doesn't usually last for long at this time of year.

AnneB

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 10:23 »
Is that a very local forecast Grubbypaws? I have just looked at Accuweather for Bradford and it is showing a low temperature of 7 tonight.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 10:35 »
Is that a very local forecast Grubbypaws? I have just looked at Accuweather for Bradford and it is showing a low temperature of 7 tonight.
Met office Tonight: Showers should die away during the evening to leave clear spells generally, and perhaps a frost in prone rural spots. Minimum temperature 0 °C.

Outlook for Monday to Wednesday: Trending towards more settled weather, after a few further showers on Monday, and a cloudier period Tuesday. Some warm sunny spells are expected by day, but overnight frosts likely.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 10:39 »
Can you earth up the potatoes some more, so that only the very tops get frosted, if it does get that cold?
Fleece courgettes, although it was a chance planting them this early anyway, wasn't it? Can you usually get away with planting them out this early? I can't until mid-May.. still time to grow more if they don't make it ;)

I'd just cover the mini-greenhouse with debris netting, or an old blanket/quilt for the night, frost doesn't usually last for long at this time of year.

Everything just came on super fast with all the hot weather in April. Normally my potatoes would not have poked there heads out yet (they are grown in containers) and the courgettes would be small enough to bring inside. Instead they are thinking about flowering  :wacko:

xx
FROST

Started by cawdor2001 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 23:33
by sweet nasturtium
xx
Frost

Started by Candide on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 04, 2023, 17:58
by missmoneypenny
xx
Frost

Started by lacewing on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 11:58
by Christine
xx
first frost!!

Started by aelf on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 11, 2010, 15:44
by aelf

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 41 queries.