onions

• 7 Replies

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
onions
« on: March 25, 2007, 18:02 »
I planted a set of onions last autumn, as per instructions on the packet and they currenly just look like big spring onions? I thought I would be having a lovely crop of onions by now - this is the first time I've tried it.  I feel a bit of a nitwit having to ask this but will they become proper onions  and about when should I be harvesting.  (Of course I threw the packet away- silly Lulu!!) :?
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

WG.

onions
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 18:05 »
Autumn-sown sets should be ready to lift around July.  You can plant spring-sown varieties now to be ready in Sep/Oct.   Spring-sown varieties store better and should keep you going through the winter.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
onions
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 18:09 »
As WG says, the winter ones don't store, so once they are a useable size, I start pulling them up to use, around May onwards. They may be smaller, but it's better than having a load of rotting big ones!

Down here my spring sown ones are usually ready to lift in August.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

WG.

onions
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 18:14 »
Reason I grow onions from autumn-sown sets is to have them ready early for the pickling/chutney season.  Most of my Jap Onions go into piccalilli so I need them when the courgettes and cauliflower are ready.  And, yes, I do make very large quantities of organic piccalilli 'cos I barter it for other things.   :wink:

Lulu

onions
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 18:17 »
Thanks for the tips so far, I think half will go into the compost to make way for other stuff as space is a restriction at the moment, and I will see what happens to the rest.  Life is a bit onion adventure.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
onions
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 18:29 »
Quote from: "Lulu"
I think half will go into the compost

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

If you must pull them up, you can still use them. They may be small,but you can still use them to give a bit of zing to some dishes, even the tender green bits.

agapanthus

onions
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 18:49 »
Quote from: "Lulu"
Thanks for the tips so far, I think half will go into the compost quote]
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo too!!!!!!
Eat them as spring onions, use in any salad or just cook 'em..d'ont chuck 'em!!!!!  
God I feel faint now!!!!! :)

Lulu

onions
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 11:35 »
OK - you have saved them!!  thanks very much for responses :lol:

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 36 queries.