couch grass

• 15 Replies

timmycat

couch grass
« on: January 24, 2009, 00:14 »
as said before in the forum just got my first allotment.
so have manure, compost and extra soil now.

the next stage is the digging. the alotment has not been used in the past 5 years i was told. started digging this week and i know it's not the right time. soil is stiking to the fork and i did my back in, but i was itching to get started. my biggest problem is that the ground is covered in couch grass. there does not seem to be much else as far as weeds are concerned (guess the grass has claimed the ground for itself).

i would like to garden organic and do not want to use weed killer. any suggestions/ have got big plns as far as veggies are concerned....H...E...L...P...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
couch grass
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 06:32 »
Hi timmycat.

I'll move this to "Grow Your Own" as you do have a greeting thread here, which is the purpose of the "Welcome" forum & throw you in with the gardeners!

I'm afraid I used glysophate initially in my battle against couch grass and it does help a lot. However the grass does need to be in a growing phase, which it isn't at the moment.

However, if you really want to avoid it totally then work is only solution. You'll find it much easier to fork out if you hold back and the weather gets a bit warmer & drier.

I've not tried it myself, but others do recommend constant rotatation, but you need to have one or get your hands on one frequently, not just borrow one for a weekend!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

woodburner

couch grass
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 12:00 »
I feel for you!  :cry:  Give me brambles any day!  :lol:
I have much the same situation as you, only I have done a bit, so not quite as 'itchy'. ;)
I find a fork is better than a spade, you don't chop the roots all the time so you have fewer but longer bits to pick out, and if you take small 'bites' you can bounce the clod on the tines a bit, to break it up and sort of sieve it.
It's definitely easier when the soil is not sodden. In the meantime cover the ground with black plastic (decent stuff not binliners) or cardboard, remember to weight it down or your neghbour's lottie will be covered not yours. ;)

HTH
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Stree

couch grass
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 12:40 »
plant parsnips. The grass will not survive in competition with parsnip roots. Takes a while longer than digging, but easier and more effective.

Clampit

couch grass
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 12:53 »
I found that my soil was to compacted to get the roots out effectively when I first took the plot on. I rough dug it and let the weather break the soil down a bit, then went through with a fork.

DD.

• Global Moderator
Re: couch grass
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 13:50 »
Quote from: "Stree"
plant parsnips. The grass will not survive in competition with parsnip roots. Takes a while longer than digging, but easier and more effective.

You can't plant a whole plot with parsnips!

Well, you can, but what would you do with them? :lol:

SpudtheBinx

• Experienced Member
    • dave and becca blog
couch grass
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 13:55 »
mmmm parsnip sherry ;)

DD.

• Global Moderator
couch grass
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 13:57 »
Quote from: "SpudtheBinx"
mmmm parsnip sherry ;)

No, no, no - you can't drink that much!

Wanna hand? :lol:

woodburner

Re: couch grass
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 13:57 »
Quote from: "DD."
Quote from: "Stree"

You can't plant a whole plot with parsnips!

Well, you can, but what would you do with them? :lol:

Freeze them?

And not grow any more for the next twenty years.  :lol:

peterjf

couch grass
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 15:33 »
im a organic guy , but to win and beat the couch i had to,

dig the whole plot over , leave the couch grass in place ,

let 2-3 weeks pass , then as the new vigerous couch grass re-appears

zap the new shoots with a dose of round up ,

re dig after a week and when the few remaining couch grass breaks

through , zap the little * a final time,

you have now dug your plot over twice , applied round up twice and now

you are ready to go go go,

Stree

couch grass
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 17:29 »
What to do with the parsnips once they have done their job with the couch grass?

well, pigs cattle and horses all enjoy parsnips, so a local farmer might have them, even dig them up for you if you give them away . Is there a riding school nearby?
and of course you can eat them and make drinks from them:

RECIPES
To prepare Parsnip Soup, scrape and cut Up 2 large Parsnips or 4 small ones, and wash them carefully. Peel 6 large potatoes and boil them with the Parsnips in a quart of water. When soft, mash and pass through a sieve. Boil up again in the water and pour on to slices of bread in the tureen, adding 2 OZ. of butter. The addition of a little cream, in more favourable times, of course makes the soup more savoury.

---Stewed Parsnips----
Wash, peel and cut 3 Parsnips into slices, then boil them till they are nearly done, drain them and let them cool. Melt 2 or 3 OZ. bacon fat in a stewpan; when hot, fry the Parsnips to a light brown colour. Next add a tablespoonful of flour and moisten with sufficient brown stock just to cover the Parsnips. Season with salt and pepper, and 1 or 2 tablespoonsful of tomato sauce. Bring to the boil and let the Parsnips simmer slowly for another 20 minutes. Dish up and serve with the prepared sauce.

---Parsnip Cakes---
Parsnips mashed with a little butter and pepper and salt, and then dipped into flour and formed into small, round cakes, are nice if fried in lard, dripping or bacon fat.

---Parsnip Salad---
Plainly-boiled Parsnips, when cold, make an excellent salad. Slice the Parsnips, not too thinly, and season with salt and pepper, and mix with a simple French oil and vinegar salad dressing.

---Parsnip Wine---
Take 15 lb. of sliced Parsnips, and boil until quite soft in 5 gallons of water; squeeze the liquor well out of them, run it through a sieve and add 3 lb. of coarse lump sugar to every gallon of liquor. Boil the whole for 3/4 hour. When it is nearly cold, add a little yeast on toast. Let it remain in a tub for 10 days, stirring it from the bottom every day; then put it into a cask for a year. As it works over, fill it up every day.

Parsnip Risotto with Parsnip Crisps

1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 small parsnips
1 tbsp butter plus 1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 glass white wine
500 ml chicken stock
1/2 cup risotto rice (arborio, carnaroli or vialone nano)
1/2 tsp thyme
2-3 tbsp grated parmesan

Finely slice half of one of the parsnips, and finely dice the rest. Heat the butter and olive oil in a large frying pan or saute pan and soften the onions. Once the onions have started to go translucent, add the diced parsnips and cook together with the onions until their almost browning. Stir in the rice, and fry for 2-3 minutes to toast the rice. Add the white wine and stir until it's all absorbed, then start to add the chicken stock a little at a time. Stir between additions, and start to taste the rice after about 10-15 minutes. When the grains only have a little hardness left, add the chopped thyme, then keep adding stock and stirring until the grains yield all the way through. In between the stirring, heat a small frying pan and add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil (not the good stuff). Add the sliced parsnip and fry until they are brown and crisp. Remove to a plate lined with kitchen towel to absorb the excess oil, and sprinkle with a little salt.
Once the risotto is done, take the pan off the heat and let stand while you slice off another piece of cold butter and grate the parmesan. Stir these in then serve, with a little extra grated parmesan, the parsnip crisps and a little more thyme on top.

Hundreds of other recipes too..................

Or you could put them in a crate outside the gate with a notice that they are free to anyone who wants them, or for a donation,  and I bet there are lots more things you can do with them, plus the tops can go on the compost.

Only trying to be helpful!

timmycat

couch grass vs parsnips
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 20:50 »
was hoping to be more adventurous in my first year of gradening. what about potatoes, beetroot, garlic, onions. whatelse....courgettes...but parsnips...i don't even like them.

planning to have a digging party to get rid of the couch grass.
am trying to be organic. so will try to avoid chemicals...used to hate japanese bindweed, looks like couchgrass is the new candidate.

galen

• Experienced Member
couch grass
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 21:22 »
Good luck to you timmycat, I've got the dreaded couch grass as well.

I've started what can only be called hand sifting on a quarter of my plot and although also trying to be organic have decided to glyphosate the rest when the weed growing season starts in earnest!
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

Stree

Alternative solutions to parsnip remedies
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 21:33 »
Well I understand your enthusiasm to attain a wide repertoire of veg raising in your first season, and that is understandable and commendable .
What size is the area you are tending to? If it  is amply sized for your first years expectations, and there is a little space to spare, then try the parsnip solution just on a little patch. Compare the two areas  in late spring next year and see which has most, if any, couch grass. Then you would  certainly have an area of empirical gardening expertise bordering on the mystical.

Actually I have only really found couch ( is it couch or is it crouch? ) grass a nuisance when its next to a wall or say a concrete path, or sturdy roots etc. In open ground its just forking the roots up  getting every tiny bit and burning them.

Soooooooooo.. Perhaps just use parsnips as your Bio-weapon just along the path. If you have one.

Next week,  how to make friends and influence people with a manglewurzel.......

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
couch grass
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 21:57 »
'fraid I had to defer to the the old glyphosate to get rid of the twitch....
 this was after one season of trying to dig and hand weed it out....

I am reliably informed that it can be "rotavated" to death by continued tilling....  although the handbooks seem to say otherwise - but two old chaps on my lottie swear by it...
Death OR Cake ???

xx
Couch Grass

Started by Missey on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 30, 2019, 18:02
by rowlandwells
xx
getting rid of couch grass

Started by shed head on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 23, 2013, 20:47
by wil4025
xx
Couch grass.

Started by Dick on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post June 03, 2011, 06:07
by DD.
xx
Couch Grass

Started by nickmcmechan on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post January 23, 2011, 13:55
by Junie

Page created in 0.744 seconds with 38 queries.