Sweetcorn

• 14 Replies

chris mutter

Sweetcorn
« on: November 05, 2020, 18:45 »
Not bought the seeds yet but going to give it ago, Is this stuff easy to grow and do I need to start it off in the Green house, possibly going 100+

CHRISDONOHUE

• Experienced Member
Re: Sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 19:15 »
Every one of the seeds my allotment neighbour sowed germinated, he grew excellent sweet corn and said it was one of the easiest crops he has ever grown.   Best varieties are the AGM F1 hybrids Lark and Swift.   best started in greenhouse in individual modules.   Water daily if possible when transplanted.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 19:20 by CHRISDONOHUE »

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 07:59 »
When buying your seed stick to one type (super sweet, summer sweet etc) as mixing causes misses in the kernels.
Sow the seed in modules 6 weeks before planting out and plant out after your last frost date (for caution you might want to add a couple of weeks onto the frost date, cold kills sweetcorn).
Plant in blocks, we do ours at about 18in grid spacing, some gardeners go down to a foot. (Bigger spacing allows ease of access for picking, not sure also if close spacing encourages smaller cobs, just my observations).
As a guide we grow 40 super sweet plants for two of us (usually Swift), we don't freeze any and always end up giving some away.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 08:34 »
Corn grows easy enough, given enough sun and generous fertilizer.  Since it is wind pollinated, you need to plant in large blocks to get a yield, I personally wouldn't bother planting any less than a 4 x 4 meter block, larger is better.  Follow packet directions on plant spacing.  As ears are developing, pest control is needed to keep corn borers out of the ears (try Bacillus thuringiensis, sometimes sold a "Dipel" or "Thuricide", effective but organic-safe).
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

chris mutter

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 17:26 »
Thank you for the info folks, my main reason for planting Sweetcorn is for my Parrots they love it, I pay good money in the shops so thought cheaper option save money. And Yes the family will also devour a few. Thank You

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 16:05 »
Are you intending to sow your seeds now ?
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 16:36 »
Thank you for the info folks, my main reason for planting Sweetcorn is for my Parrots they love it, I pay good money in the shops so thought cheaper option save money. And Yes the family will also devour a few. Thank You

Does the parrot eat mini sweetcorn? The sort you stir fry? If so I would suggest growing some minipop too as you can cram it in and  mine comes about 6 weeks earlier than normal sweetcorn so it should extend your season.

AnneB

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2020, 15:35 »
Not bought the seeds yet but going to give it ago, Is this stuff easy to grow and do I need to start it off in the Green house, possibly going 100+
You will need to wait until next spring or summer though.  It won't grow in winter temperatures.  Apologies in advance if you know thus already.

chris mutter

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 07:53 »
Tenhens, No not planting now, just after advice for when planting season starts, although that might be scrapped as Bolsover DC are looking at building on the Plot, awaiting the Surveyor so we can chat. He might be able to offer a time table, got my fingers crossed.

basketcase

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2020, 11:59 »
Hope it all works put regarding the plot CM.

Not a fan of sweetcorn, the veg (fruit?) but I'm going to have a go at popping corn, which I do like.  Also have a friend with a parrot, so I may be give some to her and, possibly, sunflower seeds too.

I did wonder, being on a hill in NE Scotland.  But I've seen corn growing on other plots, so it's worth a try.  Plus the seeds are from Realseeds, and Wales isn't exactly the tropics so there's a sporting chance!  I'm hoping to get some sort of undercover growth area - not sure what yet.  So I may try some in there too.

Which reminds me, I need to potter over to the relevant forum and ask advice about that.  :mellow:

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2020, 17:08 »
Hope it all works put regarding the plot CM.

Not a fan of sweetcorn, the veg (fruit?) but I'm going to have a go at popping corn, which I do like.  Also have a friend with a parrot, so I may be give some to her and, possibly, sunflower seeds too.

I did wonder, being on a hill in NE Scotland.  But I've seen corn growing on other plots, so it's worth a try.  Plus the seeds are from Realseeds, and Wales isn't exactly the tropics so there's a sporting chance!  I'm hoping to get some sort of undercover growth area - not sure what yet.  So I may try some in there too.

Which reminds me, I need to potter over to the relevant forum and ask advice about that.  :mellow:

Popping corn Basketcase? What variety can you use ? Hadn't thought before but sounds 👍

basketcase

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2020, 19:34 »
It's a variety called Glass Gem, LearnerLady.  It's also very pretty.

Here's the link to the Real Seeds page.  Other suppliers are available!
https://www.realseeds.co.uk/sweetcorn.html

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2020, 16:41 »

Thanks, think they're limiting orders due to you know what, can't add anything to basket! Will have to keep trying, plenty of time yet......

AnneB

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2020, 19:28 »

Thanks, think they're limiting orders due to you know what, can't add anything to basket! Will have to keep trying, plenty of time yet......
Try first thing Saturday morning.   They open their shop then, but close it when they have 600 orders for the week.  I ordered at 9 am Saturday this week with no problem.  Annoyingly I forgot something though!!

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2020, 21:12 »

Try first thing Saturday morning.   They open their shop then, but close it when they have 600 orders for the week.  I ordered at 9 am Saturday this week with no problem.  Annoyingly I forgot something though!!
Haha! Completely missed the info on home page, finger will be poised 9:00 Sat 👍

Edit to clarify quote
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 10:10 by New shoot »

xx
Sweetcorn again

Started by 4th season allot on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 07, 2020, 08:42
by New shoot
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by Robin Redbreast on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 22, 2012, 21:25
by poohpouri
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by wapello on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post August 20, 2016, 22:58
by honeymelon
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by alwayshopeful on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 26, 2009, 14:19
by alwayshopeful

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 54 queries.