straw in the run ???

• 6 Replies

needssomehelp

• Experienced Member
straw in the run ???
« on: February 04, 2011, 07:08 »
i am in the middle of having a much bigger chicken run built, (so i can have lots more chooks lol) i have been looking at all the posts on what to use on the floor of the run, i have seen pea shingle, wood chippings and sawdust all being used, but ive noticed no one uses straw, is there a reason for this ? i currently use soft bed in my coop and straw in my small run, i dont seem to have any problems, but id rather be told if im doing wrong.
LISA X X X

Casey76

Re: straw in the run ???
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 07:59 »
as straw is hollow it can harbour mould and fungus on the inside.

I find that is also blows all over the place  :mad:

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 08:23 »
Also when it gets wet and soggy it smells :ohmy: :ohmy:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 11:28 »
I do use straw. I lay it over frozen ground and snow.  Also use it to bind the mud in the run when the thaw comes along!! If you don't have it too deep the hens will break it up fairly quickly, but I rake it off and compost it at intervals. Also when you put it down fresh they go bananas raking through for all the seeds, and I scatter their afternoon corn on it so they have to work for their treats.
3 o'clock is both too early and too late to start anything - Sartre said so.

cockahoot

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 10:04 »
Hi there i sometimes use straw works well for me and my 3 girls and me veg patch,
A good tip i think and wot i do is scrafi my grass lawn and get all the moss out bag it up and use as litter thro out the year works a treat plus lawn looks good also lol

hillfooter

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 11:02 »
You can use straw (NOT HAY) but it has several problems which mean it needs changing regularly.  It certainly smells and becomes insanitary when wet, it encourages moulds which can be toxic and spoors are very bad for chx respiratory systems and also it harbours a very itchy mite.  If you get this on you it can cause an alergic itchy rash.  I don't think it is parasitic on chx like Red Mite but is very tiny and not pleasant.  It is, as casey says, quite messy and unsightly on a paved or patio area.  None the less if you can change it regularly and keep it dry and clean the chx will like it and it's relatively cheap (though increasing this year).
HF
Truth through science.

Hennery

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 21:46 »
 I have found that B&Q's play area bark is a good run material. It's soft and I reckon if its ok for kids its ok for hens. It costs around £4. 70 a bag and sometimes cheaper if you buy 3. When its time to change it I usually use the soiled stuff as a mulch around the garden shrubs.

xx
using straw

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post September 29, 2009, 17:25
by karlooben
xx
Does straw go off?

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 18, 2013, 08:59
by Prod
xx
straw or hay............

Started by Lorie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 22, 2010, 18:50
by karlooben
xx
Hay V Straw

Started by Anndee on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 09, 2011, 21:36
by evie2

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 36 queries.