How to garden in hot weather.

• 3 Replies

Goosegirl

How to garden in hot weather.
« on: April 20, 2019, 14:30 »
I'm late in getting my pots and onion sets in because my raised beds needed a good digging-over and a de-weeding of the nasties such as the ever-invading couch grass. Having had some sort of infection this last week I was rather delayed, so as my OH is away today buying some new chooks I wanted to get them in tout-suite before he comes back. Phew!! In between a few brews I managed to get some veg and other plants potted up in the g-house this morning and got the bag of onion sets and the chitted pots ready to go but I wish I was ready to go! In these sort of situations I tell myself just plant two rows of onions, sit down, and then I think "That took me about 5 minutes so if I do another 5 minutes more and keep repeating it they'll all be planted by the end of the day. I just need the energy to get some compost to cover them because the soil is so dry it won't create a fine tilth despite what I use. After I've posted this I'm going out again to plant my pots then I'll drag a bag of left-over ericaceous compost to cover the onions (it's all I have at the moment) then use what's left over with some mixed-in J.I. No.3 and chicken grit to fill my stone urn so I can plant my Hidcote Lavender. Update, all pots are in, sets planted but not covered with compost. GG's had enough for today and has a big G&T in her paw. 
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

Re: How to garden in hot weather.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 14:41 »
I've got a few minutes to go with a small allowance for shut-eye, then the mower comes out and I'll do the garden and out the front of 'The Turrets'.

Then back in to pot on 48 Bizzie Lizzies, and a load of lobelia (bought from High Banks - our favourite nursery) then wonder about where to plant the redcurrants, most of which have struck, so will need a home...

Ditto the blackcurrants, they just cry out for a home; sometimes I hear them wailing during the night!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 14:41 by Growster... »

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 15:24 »
Tomorrow I have some brassicas, pak choi, kale and dwarf sunflowers to pot on in the morning then I'll sow some beetroot along one of the raised bed edges, get my Hidcote lavender planted along with the Peacock Orchid bulbs I bought recently so Yo! They like sun and a damp spot and I have the very place only I didn't realise how tall they grow (see other posts) but I'm just going for it. Apart from not planting my pots or onions where they were last year, things will be just stuffed in whenever there's a space for them and tell you what, if I don't get a reasonable crop from whatever, I'll eat my trowel! God only knows where my sweet peas are going but "There's a Place for You somewhere and at sometime in the near future"!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 16:21 »
I had a garden day like that yesterday.  I get into complete panic when I get behind.   Perhaps you could be like the chap on "Benidorm" - was it Johny Vegas.   He had his drinks attached to him with straws.  If you completely run out of energy, try a vodka and Red Bull.    I am told its the business   :wacko:
But you have done so much it puts my effort to shame.   But you are just a young babe.    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

clip
GG's new garden.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post July 19, 2020, 15:04
by Goosegirl
xx
Just another day in the garden...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post April 28, 2022, 17:55
by Growster...
xx
Garden clothes

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

18 Replies
Last post September 04, 2021, 10:30
by Goosegirl
xx
Garden Sprayer help please

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post June 18, 2022, 12:57
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 35 queries.