Applying for an allotment

• 11 Replies

unclejonnyboy

« on: March 04, 2007, 20:24 »
Hi there,
Just joined today  finding the site very interesting ,i have recently applied for an allotment withj my local council(4 weeks ago!!!) and yet still no reply from them :x tried phoning them but no reply yet,seems to be the norm with my council.anyone else had these problems with their council or allotment society.Any advice would be welcome.
Cheers

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 20:26 »
9 am 930 monday morning when they checking pc stuff . ask them why the hell you cant get in touch with the council and that you will also be asking this of the local newspaper to investigate  ................bet that wakes em up . n hassle hassle the allotment person
still alive /............

mandycharlie

• Experienced Member
    • Blossom and Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 20:30 »
Did you find out how long the waiting list is.

Did they acknowledge you? when you applied.

As a newbie, I found that if you don't know the reason for not acknowleging you was to keep pestering...

yummy

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 20:35 »
Had no problems here. Allotment secretary answered phone immediately. Was very helpful. Passed me to committee of local site who had vacanies waiting.

Hope you get somewhere soon.

I don't know if all sites run from March - March each year? Ours does and we have all had rent notices for next year. If so now is a good time cos those that don't pay up will be gone and you can be waiting in line for a plot.

mandycharlie

• Experienced Member
    • Blossom and Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 20:35 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
..bet that wakes em up . n hassle hassle the allotment person

abso bleedin' lootley.. I found out who the Secretary was of my site, fortunatly he was a local in my pub of which i was unaware... but then i kept on pestering him..

but to be honest... I was waiting since august,, and was really lucky to get a plot this year... on another patch in the town I live there are 80 people waiting for plots,,, a two to three year waiting list...   ive no idea why they don't have their names down on our allotments, apart from if you don't know  (i.e.  your not a local) you wouldn't know they were there.

unclejonnyboy

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 20:38 »
Dont think there is a waiting list,the only reply i have had is an e-mail confirming i have applied,nout else since then.

muntjac

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 20:39 »
go get em uncle  . KILL  :twisted:

milkman

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 20:40 »
if you get time pop in and see them - if there's no waiting list there'd be nothing to stop them running off a tenancy agreement and signing u up there and then.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

milkman

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 20:42 »
also if you know which sites have vacancies on - take a visit and work out which plot you'd like to put your name to - speak to existing plot holders to find out how the land lies - you could pick up some useful info.

Mercuria

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 14:09 »
I'm having exactly the same problem with Northampton BC- but it looks like the Allotments Officer is on holiday. I've now had my info pack through and I've e-mailed to say which site I'd like a plot on (no waiting list), but it will be later this week before they are back in the office.  I'm getting impatient and just want to get going- especially as the weather is warming up and time marches on.

Until such time as I get my plot I'll have to content myself to surfing this board and raising seedlings.

Nichy
"Is it supposed to look like that?"

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
Re: Applying for an allotment
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2007, 08:29 »
Quote from: "unclejonnyboy"
Hi there,
Just joined today  finding the site very interesting ,i have recently applied for an allotment withj my local council(4 weeks ago!!!) and yet still no reply from them :x tried phoning them but no reply yet,seems to be the norm with my council.anyone else had these problems with their council or allotment society.Any advice would be welcome.
Cheers

no problem here - I got 126 sq m plot in Feb...only had my name down since Nov06.  The rents are normally due in 1st April so if people give them up its normally after 1st April some become avaialble.
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature? the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter. -   Rachel Carson

Heifer73

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2007, 09:13 »
Hi

I really appreciate how lucky I was to get a plot.  

Father in law mentioned, whilst talking about the veg we were going to grow in the garden in containers, that we needed a lotty to grow all you veg in.  Hubby and I decided that would be a good idea, by the Sunday we were down at the allotment talking to the guy who was lookig after the shop by Sunday afternoon the key had arrived at my in laws and the rest as they say is history.
Bye

Heifer

Carpe Diem

The way I see it, if you want the rainbow you have got to put up with the rain!

xx
applying manure

Started by tryx on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post December 01, 2012, 21:20
by Yana
xx
Applying Lime

Started by Missey on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 18, 2018, 19:52
by JimB
xx
Applying blood fish and bone

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 04, 2009, 20:46
by mumofstig
xx
allotment

Started by cAnAry53 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 29, 2012, 14:11
by Headgardener22

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 38 queries.