river cottage brew

• 7 Replies

smallholder2010

river cottage brew
« on: June 01, 2010, 17:08 »
was watching a river cottage programe on e4   he did a hedge row brew with eldflower   it was quick and didnt use a air lock ????     i thought that you had to use a demi john and a air lock to create a brew of any type champine or beer or any thing.

what the easyest  simplest acholic drink to make im very intrested in this and want to try a simple on my self . i have no equipment but it didnt seem to stop  him makeing a champine as he said \????   thanks all

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: river cottage brew
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 17:46 »
some of the fermenting is done inside the strong bottles he has advised you to use (thinner bottles explode he says)
HFW recipe here

LHS

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 13:32 »
Elderflower is probably one of the easiest to make and quickest to get to the glass.

If you buy spring water in the 4.5l  plastic container you can use these containers instead of demi-johns, an air lock is advisable as you don't want those vinegar flys to turn your wine to vinegar!! :( Just bore a hole in the top big enough for the bung and your away!!

All the best

Lee

ohbeary

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 17:26 »
Quickest and easiest wine I can think of would be Wine #1 as follows,

1ltr white grape juice
1ltr pineapple juice
700g/1lb 5oz sugar
1x 5g sachet champagne yeast
1tsp yeast nutrient (or at a push! 1/4tsp marmite!!)
water to 4.5ltr

sit back and watch it go, ferment out to dry, it will clear itself, when clear siphon into clean vessel, leave to stand in cool place, you may need to siphon again but the whole thing should be drinkable in 30days, can be primed and bottled for sparkling ;)

Knight Family

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 15:53 »
Now my issue is were do I get strong bottles from quickly this weekend, I want to make some for the wife.....
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

horticgirl

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 16:59 »
I am on my 2nd brew of elderflower champagne and have just used plastic lemonade bottles. But have had to unscrew the tops at least twice a day to let the pressure out. Ok so far (she says fingers crossed)
Have a look on the elderflower champagne thread there's loads of tips on there

b0b2600

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 15:40 »
A simple air lock.... Use a balloon and prick 4 pin holes around the top, place it over the bottles, the gas will inflate it slightly and prevent air from getting in.  Thats it.

jonewer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 20:07 »
Be aware of river cottage. A LOT of his brewing stuff is dishonest, misleading nonsense.

I have seen him make nettle beer in a dustbin under the table, no sanitation whatsover! Then a little while later he magicaly has clear, sparkling beer to drink.

No way. And apart from the almost cast iron certainty that he would have ended up with a dustbin full of rotting sugary nettle juice, you should never ever ever brew in anything other than glass, stainless steel or food grade plastic.

xx
2nd brew!

Started by crackedflowerpots on Homebrew

11 Replies
Last post May 19, 2008, 20:28
by crackedflowerpots
xx
Best place to brew?

Started by fallen angel on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post March 28, 2011, 21:03
by fallen angel
xx
home brew books

Started by wayne170534 on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post May 23, 2011, 11:49
by Runwell-Steve
question
Better brew 7 day wine kits

Started by Oakdalebirds1 on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post November 30, 2013, 11:39
by grinling

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 40 queries.