some advice really

• 10 Replies

Charl89

• Experienced Member
some advice really
« on: May 11, 2012, 16:13 »
I have done most of my allotment, potatoes, carrots, onions, beans and peas then last week had to go for an operation which turned worse and only just got out of hospital and the whole time i was worried that i am now completely out of action for about 6 weeks!!

I am now missing the main planting time, and cant keep on top of my weeds so going to be a jungle when i go down. any advice would be great in what i can do as i dont really have anyone who can help plus its not fair to ask someone to take on such a big job.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: some advice really
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 16:28 »
If it is on an organised allotment site, make sure you tell someone why you're not working on it at present , so they don't grumble too much ::) and then stop worrying about it all!

Hope you're fully fit again soon  :)

Charl89

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 16:31 »
I pretty sure its not there is a few allotments that people dont really go to so should be ok on that.
I'm trying not to panic, got 10 canes of raspberry coming just remembered about too. oh dear better find someone who can dig me some holes  :tongue2:
I was really hoping this year icould get everything done without any interuption.

Robert_S

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 16:32 »
As far as weeding goes, if you can't do it and you cant get anyone else to do it, all you can hope is that what you've got in has enough of a head start over the weeds to survive 6 weeks on their own.

Charl89

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 16:35 »
yeh i was very very on top of them just in case but now my recovery is an extra 3 weeks then planned. my parents are going to take me down to have a look and make sure everything looks ok but scared to see how quickly the weeds have invaded  :D

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 18:28 »
when you go down there with your parents, sit and look pitifully at the weeds and cry a bit, and hopefully they'll do a few hours of weeding to cheer you back up again :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 16:55 »
 :lol: I like that style!

Seriously, the most important thing is to let the people in charge of the site know about your situation, so that they don't start getting narked with you unnecessarily.  You might indeed find that some people will help keep it ticking over until you're back on your feet.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 00:22 »
Chuck some form of mulch over the weeds if you're able - that should hold em off for a little while. You have my sympathy - I ended up with emergency back surgery the week after I took my first ever allotment on! Focus on your recovery - nature will take care of itself.

Charl89

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 09:01 »
Thanks guys for your help.
still havent managed to get down, but lovely weather here so hope i can look at it this week.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 09:06 »
Just resist the temptation to even try to do anything Charl! The allotment will still be there when you are up and running again.  Hope you feel better soon.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Charl89

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 13:06 »
well yesterday finally got to see my allotment, 15 raspberry canes came in the post so they needed to be planted by the help of my other half.  :D
i was suprised by how well it looked, purple sprouting has now flowered and last years swisschard too so got some colour and insects coming into the allotment.
Potatoes are looking extremely brilliant which i am well chuffed about i made sure before the op i had banked them all up so was one less thing to do. lettuce and pak choi are doing really well and somehow not been eaten by snails and slugs out of my amazment considering there is no pellets been down. carrots are coming on and so are the onions. there were a few weeds but not half as bad as i was thinking it could be.
so overall well chuffed i should be back down there in no time even if it is some light weeding for now.  :D :D
thanks for all the support guys!!

xx
Seed potatoes - advice and general advice on how to start an allotment

Started by barnowl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 17:34
by kloggs
xx
Plot clearing advice. Opinions and advice valued.

Started by Devondumpling on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2017, 19:54
by snowdrops
xx
looking for advice

Started by joegray on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 21, 2014, 08:23
by diospyros
xx
No dig advice

Started by Wellington on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 25, 2020, 10:49
by Wellington

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 40 queries.