Mix 'N' Match

• 6 Replies

Apostrophes

• http://www.richard-seymour.net
Mix 'N' Match
« on: April 10, 2011, 15:24 »
I am growing a number of different fruit bushes and I was wondering if it would work if I grew strawberries between, say, my gooseberry and redcurrant bushes. I know the bushes will spread but the strawberries grow low down so would they really get in each other's way?

Richard
The idiots are winning.

digalotty

Re: Mix 'N' Match
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 15:57 »
i think you would be ok providing they are not to close and sunlight will get through to them
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 16:01 »
Both fruit bushes can be grown on a "single leg" or mini-standard system where you prune off all growth from the main stem lower down and develop these main stems with their branches coming off where you then get the side shoots/spurs that will give you the fruit in the coming year. It makes goosegogs easier to pick as well, as they can be thorny. Blackcurrants shoot low down and you remove the oldest third every year so I would be unsure about these as they produce quite a bit of shade too. Strawberries should be ok with redcurrants and goosegogs if given enough room in front/between the bushes as the bushes root system is near the surface; this means feeding has to be optimal in such a small space.  
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Apostrophes

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 09:33 »
That's great you two. Thanks. I'll try it and see.

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 12:48 »
The only problem I can see, is if you let the strawberries ramble around the fruit bushes than picking the fruit might be a bit of a pain avoiding the strawberries.
Paul

RichardA

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 13:43 »
You might regret the thorns on gooseberies whilst picking strawberries. Also difficult to prune, deweed and keep tidy and to hoe in fertilisers etc if ground is too covered
R

Apostrophes

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 14:12 »
I have a fruit cage five feet wide and God knows how long. I am going to plant strawberries down each side, away from the base of each bush and hopefully not in the way. Thanks for all your help and I will report back and let you know how it went.

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 33 queries.