celery

• 11 Replies

rowlandwells

celery
« on: February 09, 2020, 16:37 »
I'm going to have another go at growing celery this season I think I raised this topic before but without much luck but I'm  trying honest I am I'm going for self blanching this time I've never done any good with growing celery for several years now but not  giving  up I'm trying to grow celery in a raised bed this season so any hints would be an advantage from you professional celery growers out there to a novice like me  :D :D

Christine

Re: celery
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 18:56 »
Long growing season so start mid March - April in a seed tray. Pot on till quite large. Celery likes rich soil and water and takes its time to grow. I got a sort of crop once - didn't look good and tasted very strong.

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 12:37 »
Are you looking to use it for cooking or as a salad?

I have had little success growing as a salad crop over the allotment. However, in the green house in a large pot I grow it just to harvest more like a herb to use in Bolognaise sauce.

jambop

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 13:24 »
I have grown it very successfully for the past couple of years down here. It needs plenty of water and good soil. What I have found is that the flavour and aroma is much more pronounced than the dodo you buy in the shop so if for some reason you do not like too much celery taste don't use too much. I have grown Italian varieties they tend to be very green and just as an aside I have also noted that on the whole over here in Europe people do not go for blanched celery and it nearly always sold in loose stalks down here so you don't need to buy an entire plant .
I suppose you may already know but do not cover the seeds when you sow them  and keep well watered until they germinate. Thin them when they are quite small into 7.5cm pots and grow on and plant out about May time.
edit Incidentally because I harvest a few stalks at a time I am still getting usable celery from my overwintered plants. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 13:25 by jambop »

yorky

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 15:25 »
Its worth remembering that Celery is actually a bog plant. Its almost impossible to over water it, but it soon suffers if allowed to go dry.
Sets a low standard and fails to achieve it.

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 16:48 »
it sounds like growing celery could be a bit hit miss and most people have told me they like the blanched celery rather than the green celery i see there are some self blanching celery seed like Victoria

but not one to be dishearten I'm going to give celery a go thanks for your replies RW

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 16:07 »
I grew it for the first time last year after picking up a 50p sale packet from the garden center.

I read that it is difficult to grow and not worth the effort considering how cheap it is in the shops, but thought I would give it a go anyway...and was really glad I did :)

it was relatively easy. I had to take care when potting on as the seedlings are quite delicate.  I planted 4 in a rectangular trough in compost and they were watered every day by an irrigation spike just like my toms and were given a regular feed.

I only harvested a few stalks at a time when I needed some and they seemed happy with that arrangement.  it tasted lovely, both raw and cooked and will be definitely growing some again this year.

I did have them at home though rather than the allotment so everytime Mr Goose asked if we had any for his dishes, I would cut a few off.  its really a useful thing to have growing in the back garden for use at short notice, just like herbs I suppose.

I did plant a few left over plants at the plot and although they did ok, as they didn't get as much TLC and water they were not as good as those in the trough at home and went a bit woody?

definitely give it a go......I cant believe I have just written so much about the thrill of growing  celery :lol:

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 17:44 »
Do you cut the stalks off as required or do you pull them off like rhubarb?

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 10:34 »
I cut them off at the base with a sharp knife so not disturb the plant.  it seemed to work well. :)

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 10:44 »
Thanks Goose!

Longshanks

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 10:44 »
I bought a packet of seeds from an Italian supplier. I'd never grown it before and understood it was tricky. I shook seeds into a bucket of soil, shook some into rows on the plot and some in the greenhouse. I think every seed germinated as I was overwhelmed with the stuff and to give loads away.  The soil is basic London clay and all I did to encourage it was to water it in abundance. Makes great soup.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2020, 20:28 »
I grew it for the first time last year after picking up a 50p sale packet from the garden center.

I read that it is difficult to grow and not worth the effort considering how cheap it is in the shops, but thought I would give it a go anyway...and was really glad I did :)

it was relatively easy. I had to take care when potting on as the seedlings are quite delicate.  I planted 4 in a rectangular trough in compost and they were watered every day by an irrigation spike just like my toms and were given a regular feed.

I read about this in February and then went to the garden centre a week or so later and they had troughs they were selling off.  They were the self-watering sort with the reservoir in the base.  There was nothing wrong with them, but the centre had changed hands the previous year and the new lot sold different brands.  These were priced to clear at less than 1/2 price  :D 

1 pack of Blush celery seeds were also acquired and some sown on 22nd Feb.  I planted out 8 seedling plants into the troughs and now have a decent crop forming.

Thanks Goose  :D

IMG_3642 (1024x768).jpg

xx
Normal cutting celery v Parcel celery

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 18, 2022, 10:26
by Snow
xx
Celery

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 11, 2008, 01:27
by sclarke624
xx
Celery

Started by sawnee on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 04, 2008, 21:16
by gobs
xx
red celery

Started by Madame Cholet on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 20:58
by Madame Cholet

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 40 queries.