Primroses still hogging my flower beds!!

• 8 Replies

joyce c

Primroses still hogging my flower beds!!
« on: May 10, 2011, 08:05 »
My primroses were absolutely magnificent this year, needless to say, although the flowers are now fading the leaves are very green and healthy.  My now problem is where do I put my summer bedding plants.  Can I cut the leaves back.  I've waited and waited hoping they might die back, but I'm afraid my summer plants can't wait much longer  :)

I have posted this elsewhere on the site, hope that's ok.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Primroses still hogging my flower beds!!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 08:51 »
As you presumably already know primroses are perennial and many are also evergreen or semi-evergeen (but there are many different types.)

Don't think they'd take kindly to having their leaves chopped off so you'll probably have to move them, although they're not particularly fond of being transplanted either!

(This board is the correct place for your query; haven't seen your other post yet!)

Edit: just found your other posting on the same subject; will delete it to save confusion!  :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 08:53 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Gandan57

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 09:02 »
I`m certainly no expert, but primroses are woodland plants and in the wild as the season progresses they get crowded out as other plants grow and they are quite happy with that. So just leave them where they are and plant your summer bedding around them. if you need to move any, do this in the autumn when the summer bedding has died.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

sion01

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 09:35 »
I have moved primroses at this time of year so don't worry if you have to do it,just keep them well watered in their new spot.

mobilekat

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 11:49 »
Primroses are quite forgiving, I have lots and the are close to being a weed, I treat them quite rough, and each year they bounce back!

But they are so lovely at the beginning of the year that I never would get rid of them!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

stompy

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 12:14 »
You can move them now just get plenty of soil with them.
The best time is Autum, thats when we do ours, we also split the bigger plant into 2's and 3's to propogate them.

joyce c

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 22:31 »
Just checked this posting I put on on May.  I did move some, and they are thriving.  Suppose lots of good luck and good management needed  :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 00:24 »
I`m certainly no expert, but primroses are woodland plants and in the wild as the season progresses they get crowded out as other plants grow and they are quite happy with that. So just leave them where they are and plant your summer bedding around them. if you need to move any, do this in the autumn when the summer bedding has died.

Excellent advice IMHO.

I've done just that... we have a long bed with primroses all along the front. I've planted behind and between them (some of which are still in flower).

If you have to move them it might be a good time to split any that are too large but all will need copious amounts of water and would be best planted in shade if they are to stand a chance of survival.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

joyce c

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 08:24 »
Yes I replanted in the shade, and they have been watered and fed with the summer beddings. Hense again, some have flowered.  Wey hey.

xx
My new flower beds

Started by sclarke624 on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post June 25, 2010, 18:09
by sclarke624
xx
edging for flower beds

Started by Selkie on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post November 06, 2007, 20:07
by Selkie
xx
Rabbits and flower beds

Started by thehir on General Gardening

18 Replies
Last post July 17, 2011, 22:20
by Paul Plots
xx
Pictures of Your Flower/Shrub Beds/Borders/Pots

Started by garddwr on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post September 07, 2008, 09:00
by Christine

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 34 queries.