Not exactly livestock

• 13 Replies

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
Not exactly livestock
« on: September 13, 2009, 22:58 »
Hiya, i found a wild rabbit on my allotment this afternoon with runny swollen eyes, well i say found he actually ran straight into my foot. I have since googled it and found out he has myxamatosis (sp sorry  ???) Do i need to report it to any one, either on my allotment site or anywhere else, I don't think there is anyone keeping rabbits on our site, but would hate to think it might have been spread.

Any advise would be greatfully received.

Thanks
Kate
Always thankful for advice!

Ourveggiepatch

• Experienced Member
Re: Not exactly livestock
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 23:40 »
Hi

Personally I would mention it to the local council, they will have the correct people to contact and will be able to advise if it needs to be reported.

I cant say this is the correct course of action, its only what I would do.

Regards

OVP

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 06:50 »
Firstly I hope you have put the rabbit out of is misery. 
Secondly myxomatosis is not a notifiable disease.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 06:55 »
We used to live in yorkshire before we lived here, and im sure they used to use this awful illness as a way of controlling the wild rabbit population :(.....just about every rabbit you saw at a certain time of year had this ......ive always had my pets rabbits vacinated against mixi because its so prevalent amongst wild rabbits!...horrible, just horrible :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 07:46 »
We get it a lot round here - every couple of years. We just have to put them all out of their misery. The farmers do their best to control the rabbit population (as they are legally bound to do) but with so many fields it's bunny heaven, and I suppose the becks make ideal breeding grounds for the fleas that carry the mixy.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 09:35 »
myxie is such an awful disease we have loads round here, we do the best we can to control the rabbit population but its horrible, made worse as it is man made :( :(

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 09:43 »
there are loads around here this yr, we put them out of their misery too, poor things.  You would think that someone could have developed somethng better than Myxi by now.  Something that worked quicker on them.  I know they need control but it's a slow death for them. :(
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

dizzylizzie

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 10:17 »
it is ...its just cruel :(

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 12:40 »
Sorry but its not man made, but it was introduced from South America as a control for rabbit population. 

RichardA

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 17:47 »
when our children were younger we lost several pet rabbits to mixi. Vacinations saved the others. Vet said hedgehogs carry the same fleas as rabbits but dont suffer from mixi. Then as now we encouraged hedgehogs - just keep them apart if you can by secure runs etc.Terrible thing to see amongst wild rabbits or pets. Take care.
R

oddpaws

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 18:14 »
the rabbits around this way have only just started to recover from mixi last year. At least they can repopulate fairly quickly
a mum is for life..not just for cleaning! ;@)

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 18:28 »
Myxi isn't notifiable because it's everywhere. It's a horrible disease :( It was spread deliberately originally but now it's so rife you couldn't get rid of it if you tried. Even pet rabbits need revaccinating every 6-12 months to protect them.

If you don't know anyone that can put it out of it's misery vets will euthanase for free if you drop it off at a practice.

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 20:49 »
Firstly I hope you have put the rabbit out of is misery. 
Secondly myxomatosis is not a notifiable disease.

I really wanted to, but i was scared of not doing the job quickly and efficiently, so I wimped out - dispicable i know. I won't get a chance to get to the plot now until the weekend but i suspect the rabbit would have died by now, he wouldn't have survived the night without the local fox (who is actually quite tame) take it.

I wish i had had the guts to put it out of its misery but the bigest thing i have ever killed was a black bird after the cat had it and that really bothered me for a long time. I feel terrible for chikening out but i couldn't pluck up the courage. Sorry.

Thank you for all your replys, Does any one know the best way to dispose of the body if it is still around? Is it only rabbits that are affected. Have taken my pet bunny for vacinations today.  :(

Rubellite

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 14:46 »
My friend had her pet bunnies vaccinated but they still got it and had to be pts  :(
It's a wicked disease.

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 39 queries.