first earlies

• 11 Replies

dmg

first earlies
« on: July 01, 2012, 20:22 »
Could i put a second crop of new earlies in the same spot once ive lifted the first lot, or is that just inviting trouble?

thanks dmg

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: first earlies
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 20:28 »
Do you mean next year rather than now? You can, but it is considered better practice, hygiene-wise, to rotate crops.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

dmg

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 20:38 »
thanks for the quick reply argylie,
i was thinking of doing it this year but i will just forget it. i just hope i can get through all the fennel i will put in to use the space up.

I also see blight is creeping closer to us :(

dmg

DoubleDigger

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 20:38 »
I plant First Earlies from as early as I dare - February as a rule - right the way through the season until August / September, for Christmas lifting.  I only grow First Earlies. Whether you plant them in the same ground is a bit of a judgement call.  Given the wet season we have had so far, if you have had blight spores drop into the ground it could be a problem - but that is probably the only real issue.  You are only having the plant 'in' the ground for the same amount of time as a Maincrop might be there, so 'rotation' wise, as long as you move on next season, I would risk it.  

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 06:27 »

I also see blight is creeping closer to us :(

dmg

Well it is, but I remember last year according to the blight maps Fife was really bad and from early on, so let's hope it doesn't travel over..

Bernard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 22:10 »
I plant First Earlies from as early as I dare - February as a rule - right the way through the season until August / September...
Hi Doubledigger, could you please explain how you get seed spuds in correct condition for planting all year?
This is my 2nd year with spuds. I get them from T&M and plant when they are suitably chitted. I don't understand how you can continue through the year.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 09:03 »
Don't know how Doubledigger does it, but I've got half a dozen Lady Christl seed potatoes still in their egg box on my bedroom windowsill which I hadn't got space to plant out.

Started chitting them when bought in January, but six months later they are still alive, with perfectly viable short chits, although the tubers themselves are of course a little shrivelled!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DoubleDigger

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 10:07 »
Hi Doubledigger, could you please explain how you get seed spuds in correct condition for planting all year?
This is my 2nd year with spuds. I get them from T&M and plant when they are suitably chitted. I don't understand how you can continue through the year.
I just posted this pic on a Christmas Potato thread

I don't do anything very much ! they are just bought in February, kept in 'good' light & not too warm, sprayed occassionally with Maxicrop Seaweed ( but not too often) 'nature' looks after the rest.  You have to have a decent soil to go around the 'chits' - I wouldn't "heel " them in to dense clay  :nowink: treat them with the reverence they deserve  :happy:  I wonder if some varieties are happier to 'hold' in this condition than others......some seem inclined to throw out long roots ? but I have given up growing anything else.  I used to grow a variety called "Pomme Fine", but it seemed to go off the market about 5 years ago  shame, best potato I have ever grown / tasted.  I suspect the Dutch are keeping them all for themselves  ::)  They would 'hold' like new, in the ground for 'ever'. 

Robster

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 11:32 »
This is my first year using the same strategy as Doubledigger.  That is to plant first earlier all year.  I am growing all my potatoes in bags and boxes. Some normal potato bags and some builders merchant bags.  I bought Swift, Rocket and Epicure in February planted what I needed initially.  The first lot were in bags in the greenhouse in February, and moved out late March.

I put some in the fridge for July/August planting.  Others I left out to chit they were still viable after 4 months chatting and when planted have grown away well.

Actually I thought the Swift was pretty bland as a spud so it's been put on the banned list.

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 13:49 »
.... I've got half a dozen Lady Christl seed potatoes still in their egg box on my bedroom windowsill which I hadn't got space to plant out.

Started chitting them when bought in January, but six months later they are still alive, with perfectly viable short chits, although the tubers themselves are of course a little shrivelled!

Having tried different potato varieties in different growing conditions, bag,ground etc, this happened last year when I finally decided I wouldn't try Christmas potatoes again. They - the chitted LCs -  were in great order as described here, until they went in the ground and did absolutely nothing.

AnneB

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 14:53 »
My 'Christmas' potatoes produced a small crop in early October then got late blight.  Decided not to bother again.

Bernard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 16:44 »
Thanks Doubledigger et al. I might give it a try next year

xx
Following on from 1st earlies

Started by safetrade on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 14, 2012, 10:21
by safetrade
xx
first earlies, HELP?

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 20, 2007, 23:16
by frazzy
xx
Which earlies

Started by Benny130 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 14, 2015, 23:01
by 3759allen
smiley
Last of the earlies

Started by Antonius on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 03, 2010, 20:58
by Curlytop

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 40 queries.