First earlies...

• 41 Replies

Growster...

First earlies...
« on: May 31, 2015, 11:31 »
We couldn't get hold of any 'Annabelle' this year, so bought 'Swift' instead.

A good chum down at the allotments said that you could set a calendar by them for ten weeks exactly!

And he's right to the hour!

Another chum, pronounced, years ago, that you had to 'slaughter 'em' as soon as any were showing...

And he was right too!

DSCN8200.JPG

Snoop

Re: First earlies...
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 11:49 »
That looks like a good crop. Bet you really enjoyed them.

We had our first Dunluce the other day. Just under eight weeks since planting but big enough for a first early - just - and oh so very, very good.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 11:55 »
I'm growing Pentland Javelin but doubt I will get as earlier a crop as you. I'm going to have a furtle tomorrow before the gales come and see what lies beneath. Yours don't half look good though!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 13:12 »
I have Javalin planted on 25th March. That will be 70 days next Tuesday. I think they take a little longer than Swift and Rocket but they have good tops so I will explore in about another week.

I have peas with pods on so hoping they both come together.

The greenhouse/polytunnel growers have not done their usual showing off but I bet theirs are ready.

Ema

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 13:47 »
I brought a bag of new potatos yesterday, bit silly really as I'm sure I'll be sick of potatos soon! can't remember wen I planted my spuds but I know it was a few weeks later than normal looking forward to seeing how there doing.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 13:53 »
I look forward to the 8th June, then  :)
Anne

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 15:06 »
It's so easy to be smug about these chaps, isn't it!

I really wanted to prove my chum right, and didn't he do well!

Mrs Growster carefully boiled them to perfection, and we're in a bit of afterglow - partially from a rather nice carafe or three of the good 'Christleton' elderberry...

And I've managed a walk with the dog, so it's not at all bad..;0)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 16:34 »
My Rocket were planted 13th April (7 weeks ago) and one or two already have flower buds on!

Two reasons I'm not bragging:

1) Even shortly after flowering last year there were very few spuds, although the yield was pretty good eventually.

2) It is a truth, universally acknowledged  ::), that they don't taste of much - having been disappointed with a few other varieties on my soil, Charlotte in particular, I think they're quite reasonable, although I do tend to add just a little more than a single sprig of mint, and considerably more than a weight-watchers helping of butter.  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Snoop

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 16:58 »
JayG, I'm not sure I've understood your comment.

2) It is a truth, universally acknowledged  ::), that they don't taste of much - having been disappointed with a few other varieties on my soil, Charlotte in particular, I think they're quite reasonable, although I do tend to add just a little more than a single sprig of mint, and considerably more than a weight-watchers helping of butter.  :lol:

I'm guessing that you do like Charlottes but I could be wrong... If you do, give Dunluce a go. In the past, we've had Lady Christl and Swift, and I wasn't all that impressed. But we had Dunluce last year for the first time. They were so good I was a bit worried we would be disappointed with the Charlottes afterwards. If you do like Charlottes, give Dunluce a go. They were described by one of our friends the other day as creamy and buttery even before the butter went on. Mr Snoop describes them as nutty. I just reckon they're yumptious.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 17:09 »
Sorry Snoop - dropped a couple of friends off to see Pride and Prejudice yesterday, and the 'it's a truth' quote stuck in my head for some reason!  :wub:

Rocket aren't usually rated for flavour, Charlotte are, but were disappointing for me (plus they tended to break up once they got beyond salad potato size.)

Will check Dunluce out - they need to be eelworm resistant for my soil, and Rocket are resistant to one of the variants, and are also extremely fast-growing, which in theory should mean they can deliver the goods before any attack really takes hold (it's my theory, and possibly nonsense!  ;))

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 18:11 »
Had our second feed of " red duke of York" today, planted  them on the 28th Feb, frost checked them a bit but they taste great

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 18:17 »
Like the sound of 'Dunluce', Snoop!

I don't think we ever saw them at our garden centre though, so will search next season!

Snoop

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 18:38 »
Growster, I got them from

http://www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk/

Friend brought them over... The choice here isn't great.

m1ckz

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 19:26 »
ive been eating rocket for 2 weeks now.......i 15ft row gone allready  an given a few away

andimac

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2015, 08:34 »
Up here in the frozen north, mine are still in the ground. I think I planted Maris but will need to dig out the label to check. They went in early March, so hopefully they will be ready soon. There's a good bit of growth but no flowers yet. I will need to dig them out before the frosts come back!

xx
Which earlies

Started by Benny130 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 14, 2015, 23:01
by 3759allen
xx
1st earlies

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 10, 2012, 18:27
by Yorkie
xx
First Earlies

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 01, 2018, 09:44
by Eblana
xx
first Earlies ?

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 07, 2012, 07:51
by starry

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 35 queries.