Space in duck house

• 8 Replies

bantam novice

Space in duck house
« on: August 07, 2011, 12:50 »
How much space should I allow per duck when considering the size of duck house I need to look for?
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Space in duck house
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 16:04 »
It depends on the type of duck but for the lighter breeds it is about a square foot per duck although I tend to double that. If they are going to spend any time confined in the house it will obviously have to be a great deal more.
Remeber that they don't want or need perches.

What type of ducks were you thinking of?
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

bantam novice

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 16:26 »
My Aunt and I are thinking of starting with 6 Aylesburys initially but knowing what has happened to my chicken flock (growed like Topsy!) we may want to expand in the future.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 16:29 »
They are big ducks (and generally a table bird so not the best layers) but can be very friendly. The friends of mine who have had them have loved them. Be a little wary as now adays almost all large white ducks are called Aylesburys but few are.

Madclucker

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 18:17 »
I have 4 large ducks and they have a decent size shed with straw in and they sleep outside :mad: :D

bantam novice

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 18:41 »
Thanks Kate and Madclucker.  Your comments, as always are very helpful.  This is a great forum!

Now for my next question  :D

Do ducks need access to water inside the house (for drinking) as well as outside?  With hens I would just have water outside but I have never kept ducks before.

Madclucker

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 19:19 »
I only put their water outside, being ducks they love water and are very messy with it. Everyday i give them fresh water, i empty out the dirty water and rinse the sludge from the bottom, the ducks will then proceed to drink the dirty water i have just poured out and seem to love making sloppy mud with their beaks  ???  :D

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 19:29 »
I only put their water outside, being ducks they love water and are very messy with it. Everyday i give them fresh water, i empty out the dirty water and rinse the sludge from the bottom, the ducks will then proceed to drink the dirty water i have just poured out and seem to love making sloppy mud with their beaks  ???  :D

:D :D :D

Pretty much identical to what I would say!

They sulk like mad if they don't have fresh water and them play in the filthy stuff when they have fresh!
Don't give them water in their house. They will just make the place a stinking quagmire and they don't need it overnight.
Mine only ever have it in the house if I have to leave them trapped in for longer than overnight and they have almost a meter squared each which horrifyingly is apparently enough for them to live in 24/7 according to the rules!

bantam novice

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 22:08 »
Many thanks again  :)

xx
Hen house/ limited space.

Started by Eat your greens on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 11, 2019, 20:12
by Eat your greens
xx
Duck House

Started by Tensing on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post July 07, 2006, 10:02
by Tensing
xx
Duck House

Started by Debz on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 14, 2009, 18:24
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Fly's in my duck house

Started by darrena on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 06, 2009, 19:31
by happychickens

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 38 queries.