Greenhouse - looking for our first one!

• 6 Replies

Bolted_Horse

« on: August 23, 2007, 14:05 »
Hi

I am new to this forum but have been looking at the very helpful advice for some time now. We had our first crop of home-grown veggies this year and next year we'd like to do a lot more. So we thought that a greenhouse would be a great investment.

We ordered some brochures but they all appear to be the same company - Greenhouses Direct, Rhino and something beginning with E (can't remember) - are these all the same company?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a company to buy from? We'd like a glass one, probably with a green coloured frame and about 6 ft wide I think by 8ft or similar.

Thanks
BH

Sally A

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 14:15 »
Hi and Welcome!.

On the basis you probably won't be using it this season now, don't be too hasty, the big companies like B&Q, Homebase etc will be having a gardening clearout in a couple of months to make way for the Christmas stock, so you may be able to save some cash.

si-mate

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 16:03 »
Have you thought about secondhand? There are occasionally ones on freecycle (free) or ebay (cheap). You might have to dismantle it yourself and buy a few panes but our galvanised 8x6 was £20 from ebay and we spent another £25 on glass and clips.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 21:03 »
Hiya Bolted_Horse just wanted to say welcome to the forum, get the biggest you can afford/site you will soon fill it.

Don't forget B&Q will price match other local stores so you may be able to get a bargain that way they usually match the price and then give you 10% off on top.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

muntjac

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 21:34 »
can you put where you are horse so we can advise you on the weather and other thinsg for your area .. i ahve a complete greenhouse frame going if anybody wants it .. no glass.cost for recycled glass £2 a pane .12  a side approx same for roof . cost for a good new one £300
still alive /............

Bolted_Horse

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 08:47 »
Thank you all so much for your helpful advice! I hadn't thought of places like B&Q as I didn't think they would be that good but I will definitely start soucting round there. I agree about getting the biggest one we can, but our plot is in our garden so I need to create a balance between leisure garden and veggie garden! I will try and update my profile to show where I am now - hope it works! Thanks, BH

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 09:00 »
Bought my second greenhouse from B & Q. Can't remember the exact price, but it was very reasonable. Disassembled it fits in the back of an estate car - so no problems with transportation.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
Best 6x8 Greenhouse

Started by wil4025 on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post November 29, 2012, 19:24
by Chrysalis
xx
greenhouse

Started by noshed on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post December 27, 2006, 14:34
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Best greenhouse

Started by timdunn on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post November 04, 2013, 09:11
by JayG
xx
Does this greenhouse look ok?

Started by 1st time veg grower on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post October 28, 2010, 01:36
by peter james

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 38 queries.