New chucks

• 15 Replies

billathome65

• Experienced Member
New chucks
« on: March 18, 2011, 23:30 »
Ordered my first chucks today a Blackrock and a Sussex Star. treated the wood on the hen house getting it ready for the new arrivals  :) :)

« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 09:32 by billathome65 »
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

bantam novice

Re: New chucks
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 12:42 »
Looks like a great setup.  Good luck with your new arrivals  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 12:48 »
Any chance you can give them a bigger run Bill?

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 23:18 »
would love too problem is I have reduced the area the dog and the ferrets have so wouldn't be fare too them and they will be allowed in the garden area when there is no veg for them to destroy  :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 06:19 »
It is a lovely little ark Bill, but the run does seem a tad small, if you cant get to let them out every day then the ark will need moving onto fresh ground very frequently  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 09:43 »
It is a lovely little ark Bill, but the run does seem a tad small, if you cant get to let them out every day then the ark will need moving onto fresh ground very frequently  :)

I'm feeling bad now

I thought it would be OK for two birds as it's made for 4 it's only a cheep import run so not really sturdy enough to be moved all the time.

I'm wondering now if I should cancel my order of one chicken so more space even though I was planning to let them out seems from what your saying it's going to be too small even for one??

I suppose I could make a run same length as I have no spare space but higher so they have more room and raise the hutch so the chucks have more space underneath?

I have a conundrum now.  :( :(
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 09:48 by billathome65 »

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 14:24 »
Been out bought some wood and mesh so will be adding a base to the hen house and run so giving them two levels. can raise it by around two foot so hopefully this will keep the chucks happy when they arrive.

Once I've done the conversions I will post up a new picture.

Thanks Joyfull for drawing my attention to the size issue and I hope the extra work I put into this will grab your approval.

Cheers Bill
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 14:26 by billathome65 »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 15:10 »
Hi Bill, if the run is high enough add things like branches for perching or a small table type structure - this will give them something to hop onto thus adding more to help prevent them getting board. If you are raising the height of the living accomodation then the area below will be nice and dry for a dust bath area (get a small dog bed - usually lots on freecycle, they may be a little bit chewed but the chooks wont mind - and fill with soil or sharp sand). If you can hang the feeder this will also free up some space. You could also hand bunches of leaves or even fruit (not citrus) for them to peck at and act as boredom busters  :D. There are lots of ways to keep chickens happy so I hope you and your new girls will have a great time together  :)

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 10:21 »

New improved what do you think?

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 16:06 »
that's much better  :D
although, would use weldmesh like on your original run rather than chicken wire (it's good for keeping chickens in, but not good for keeping predators out)

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 17:37 »
that's much better  :D
although, would use weldmesh like on your original run rather than chicken wire (it's good for keeping chickens in, but not good for keeping predators out)

The mesh was a price issue on a tight budget. I have spent so much money in the garden I could not justify spending more money at the moment as I don't even have the chucks in it yet.  ;)

Regards Bill

katey

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 18:18 »
I think it looks fantastic.That new bottom bit is a perfect fit.I wish my OH was as handy! :)

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 20:56 »
I can put boredom busters and peckers in there now and a dust bath sounds good if I put the feeder and waterier on the second level? If their wings are clipped getting to the next level wont be an issue will it for food if so I will leave them where they are.

When the garden is free they can free-range. I'm just glad I posted up the picture as it allowed the concerns to be highlighted and I have the best interest off my future chucks at heart.

So thanks to all who helped me identify the issues with the original set up which allowed me to act swiftly and rectify as best as possible before the chucks arrive.

Cheers Bill

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 23:06 »
That looks like a great setup.  When do your girls arrive?  We await the piccies!!
ManicMum

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 23:45 »
Am hoping in the next week or two they do deliveries my area the 1st an last Tuesdays or Thursdays in the month as I work an afternoon shift they are looking at an alternative day for me will get pics up when the chucks finally get here.

Bill

xx
Just got my chucks

Started by lockettplot on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post May 13, 2011, 23:02
by pigeonpie
xx
Dogs and chucks

Started by tosca100 on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post April 22, 2012, 20:20
by themagicaltoad1
xx
New Chucks arrived

Started by billathome65 on Chicken Chat

19 Replies
Last post April 06, 2011, 20:47
by bantam novice
xx
Old dried herbs for chucks

Started by rainie on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post January 07, 2014, 21:02
by rainie

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 39 queries.