Delia's Mincemeat

• 16 Replies

Lardman

Delia's Mincemeat
« on: December 14, 2013, 16:32 »
In the kitchen again today.

I've done a batch of Delia's mincemeat here Im waiting for it to cool at the moment, but having had a quick taster it seems a little bland  :wub: Will it get better as it ages ? or should I run to the spice cupboard before I put it in jars?

Kleftiwallah

Re: Delia's Mincemeat
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 16:54 »

A few big slugs of dark rum will perk it up! ;)

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 17:12 »
I've not put the brandy in yet  :lol: I'm not sure it's just booze it's missing  :wacko:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 17:24 »
It's the same recipe as in her ancient cookbook which I acquired from Mum, so I should think it would be OK.  But I've never tried it out so can't say for sure.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Steveharford

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 17:28 »
Sort of agree with you guys.  Found myself adding extra mixed spice. It does improve with age if you have it sitting around long enough but it still lacks that kick. I have a jar still in the fridge which I will be adding a good slug of Madeira to and maybe some grand marnier as per my chicken liver pate which I've just made. Oh. And I think next time I will be leaving out the almonds or maybe adding ground almonds as your forever picking the b*ggers out of your teeth. !  Not good for the older folk i would imagine !
Otherwise not a bad recipe. What I suggest , after a few tweaks, is to make the pies and try one after a few days. If your like me you are test tasting so often until you become confused and end up not being satisfied with the end result. Over tasting is one of my biggest faults particularly when making curry. It's helpful to get the missus to give her opinion in these cases. Steve...off to feed the cake!

Mrs Bee

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 19:56 »
Oh come on Steve part of the fun of Christmas is the whole nuts and getting the little b**ggers out of your teeth. :lol: :lol:

I make mincemeat every year but I never use Delia's because I can't be bothered to cook it.

It is much easier to whack all your ingredients in a bowl and leave it in the fridge. Mine lasted from one Christmas to the next, one year when I went mad and made about 4 different recipes. ::)

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 20:14 »
I make some from a recipe a friend gave me,it was her Mum's & it's lovely,but needs making early to let it mature,not cooked though. Sadly friend died a fair few years ago,far too young. So I always call it Jo's mincemeat. Back to your post Lardy,I would leave well alone,bake a batch of pies & try them & then decide. You can always add some more spices to the mixture before you cook next batch,or add extra apple or orange/lemon zest to zing it up a bit,or even some other fruits,try cranberries,apricots.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 05:13 »
I make Delia's. Or rather a version of it. I use whatever fruit I have, usually with cranberries, and use her recipe as a quantity guide. But I detest candied peel, so use a good quantity of lemon and orange zest instead. It's not bland. I would wait and see how it tastes after it has sat a bit, too much spice might make it a bit harsh. :)

I have been known to ring the changes as I go along by adding some fresh apple or chopped fresh stem ginger. :tongue2:

Lardman

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 12:02 »
It was slightly better with the brandy in but still not right - I'll leave it to mature a while just in case. I still have a couple of jars of Waitrose traditional left which isn't too bad.

Asherweef

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 22:51 »
Did you not soak the fruit in the brandy overnight?

Lardman

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 14:09 »

Nope, the recipe says leave the brandy out until cooked. I did leave the rest of the mixture overnight though.

tosca100

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 14:35 »
Just taste tested mine made about six weeks ago. Yummy! Looks like a pile of mud but is great when cooked. I only did it in the interest of research you understand. :lol:

Lardman

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 15:58 »
I only did it in the interest of research you understand. :lol:

yeah right 'research'  . I might research some tonight too, I've been playing with pies made in a mini muffin tray, they're bite sized and so cute.

Asherweef

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 18:21 »

Nope, the recipe says leave the brandy out until cooked. I did leave the rest of the mixture overnight though.

Hmm... I thought I'd made Delia's last year but I definitely soaked the fruit so maybe it was someone else... I think the soaking is key (for me!) same with raisins soaked in orange for apple pie.  :closedeyes:

tosca100

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 19:16 »
It's the orange and lemon juice the fruit is soaked in, possibly because it's cooked and all the alcohol would evaporate the brandy is added later. :)

xx
Mincemeat with hazlenuts

Started by 666 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post October 19, 2009, 14:53
by chrissie B
xx
Mincemeat Buns

Started by mrs bouquet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post January 09, 2021, 13:55
by wighty
xx
HELP URGENTLY NEEDED WITH MINCEMEAT

Started by Novice but totally hooked on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post December 16, 2008, 22:38
by Novice but totally hooked
xx
Mincemeat with NO NASTY SUET

Started by Poolfield2 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post November 30, 2008, 09:23
by jennyb

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 38 queries.