Strange lump

• 4 Replies

Kate58

Strange lump
« on: July 11, 2014, 23:08 »
One of our chickens, Stella, is looking very unhappy at the moment.  She is hunched up but still staying near the others who are not bothering her.  When I picked her up a large lump dropped out of her onto the floor.  It looked very odd - nothing like an egg at all - no shell or anything.  It was a creamy colour and very solid and reminded me of the look of herring roe but obviously more egg shaped.  There was a slight bit of blood on my top where it had caught as it fell to the floor.  She started to look a bit more cheerful after this had happened and seemed to be getting back to standing up properly but she is now starting to hunch up again. 

Is there anyone who may have some idea what it could be?  If it is going to keep happening I think it may be best to put her out of her misery.  Stella is 3 years old.

Sassy

Re: Strange lump
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 12:45 »
It sounds like a lash which usually indicates that the hen has come to the end of her egg laying days. It isn't usually life threatening and she was probably a bit unhappy in her efforts to lay/pass it. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Kate58

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 18:06 »
Thanks for this.  We have just Googled 'lash egg' and this looks something like the lump.  I have never heard of this term before - you live and learn!  Stella looks fine today so hopefully she can stay with us a bit longer.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 11:30 »
One of my old girls lived happily for at least 18 mths after passing a lash, obviously no eggs from her, then she just passed away peacefully from old age she was 6.

barley

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 20:34 »
thanks sassy I learn something every day on this site

xx
Lump over eye

Started by asd1 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 21, 2011, 17:12
by asd1
question
Lump!!!!

Started by Pretty Chick on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 03, 2010, 19:30
by Pretty Chick
sad
Lump?!

Started by Nickchick on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 18:16
by Vember
xx
Fluid lump

Started by Andrew4613 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 10:25
by chookboy

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 33 queries.