what a season so far

• 17 Replies

the goodlife

what a season so far
« on: September 06, 2013, 10:21 »
Well what can I say! what a year, unable to get a fork in the ground as my plot is like tarmac! this rain is a welcome site with the hope of softening the ground, I have some jan kings, and caulis to go in ,garlic and onion sets, and peas, swiss chard in, leeks transplanted,had the most amaizing crop of tatties with a 300kg yield from 80sqm  8), broccoli and swede and purple sprouts are skeletons from the catapillers but they have not touched me Brussels due to a new secret mix for watering which will be used next year, and on the down side our local council refuse to put up a security fence as we were broke into twice!! the plot next to me is vacant and has the weeds seeding so I will be back to square one next year with the weeds!?  ho and a good crop of toms ,chillies and peppers still going strong my challenge this year to see if I can keep my chilli and pepper plants going till next year in the tunnel?  so how has everyone else done

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
Re: what a season so far
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 10:31 »
It's been a very good year for us except for caterpillars on the brassicas.

There have been a lot of weeds. I seem to have had difficulty keeping them down this year, so the compost heap is growing fast. I have plenty of mares tail going free if anyone wants some!

Dullnote

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 13:39 »
My first year and I am happy, with loads of strawberries, still pick some but they have slowed down, peas good and still some to pick, onions are fantastic, just lifting them to start drying, garlic dried and now in store, been using carrots, rest getting ready to lift and store, leaks using as we need them all look good. Early potatoes I had in bags and where great, compost now added to beds, main crop getting ready to lift, will see how they are soon.

Rasps were ok but not as much as I hoped will work on this for next year, blueberries, out of three bushes only one has some fruit, again a catch to work on next year.

Brussle sprouts coming along well with the cabbage and couliflowers which we are pick as we need them, will have to lift soon and freeze.

All in all happy with what I have done, could have done better (just like school), but main thing I have grow some of my own food and had fun doing it.

Can get my head around winter growing, not sure if I will do anything this year, just start planning for next year, I have purchased more land at my house which will be used for veg growing next year.

Thanks for the help in this forum, as my plot is at the house, which is handy but I don't get a chance to look at other plot s and ask all the newbie questions, glad I could this forum

Dullnote

jonewer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 15:27 »
Had a decent harvest this year. Probably about 10kg of strawberries  :blink: a kg of rasps, around 30kg of potatoes, loads of courgettes, a few onions, a dozen huge garlics, a few elephant garlics, some pumpkins and squahes, broadbeans, blueberries, redcurrants, handful of mange touts and sweetcorn still to come.

Also got some apples from my 3 year old trees for the first time. Devonshire Quarrenden were a real pleasure and in stark contrast to the watery blandness of shop-bought imported apples.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 19:26 »
Very pleased here with how its going, i think we have done great with most things, bit bean heavy but thats a problem to have rather Than not enough.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 19:35 »
Amazing year so far :happy:
And really planning on winter crops too. I have to go to the plot at least once if not twice a week to see to our chooks and that's a year round job - if I'm there I might as well garden too! :D

Sparkyrog

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 22:15 »
Very pleased here with how its going, i think we have done great with most things, bit bean heavy but thats a problem to have rather Than not enough.
you'll be planting extra courgettes next year then  :lol:
I cook therefore I grow

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 22:33 »
This year has really lifted spirits here.  Its our second year of allotmenteering, last year was a disaster!  But I have to say coming onto this site and seeing everyone plodding on spurred us on to keep on keeping on and so glad we did!  Haven't bought a green veg for ages, doing well with spuds too.
 I plot share with two friends so its a balancing act trying to grow enough of veggies that 3 families like and taking into account Summer hols has been a learning curve for us.  Its all good though.   Planning our first fruit trees and raspberry canes for next year today  ;)

rem858

Best year ever
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 16:12 »
I've had my plot for 9 years now here in sunny Suffolk the usual ups and downs with certain crops there's always something that doesn't go to plan but Its officially my best year ever the freezer is like the star ship enterprise ' she can't take anymore captain '  with lots of parsnips,carrots,sprouts to come
I have enjoyed every single second on the plot this year and wouldn't give it up for all the tea in china!!!!!

How does everybody else rate this year ??

al78

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 18:53 »
This is my first year, and my impression is the year started off rubbish (unable to sow/plant anything until mid-April) but made a dramatic recovery as soon as the summer arrived. I am surprised at how much I have managed to produce sop far this year given I am a beginner and thought the pests would destroy most things before I could get a harvest. One thing I have realised is not to get downhearted if a crop fails as the growing season is long enough that it is often possible to re-sow and still get a crop.

Plot_29@_Lady_Mary

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 19:55 »
It has been a really good year for me too. The nice summer has also been a boon for vegetable growing. It has been bountiful. As autumn beckons, I am waiting patiently for butternut, winter squashes and pumpkins to ripen. It will be a bumper harvest! Autumn sowing of mooli, pak choi and onions (from seed) is off to a good start. I have already ordered more 'exotic' seeds and just cannot wait for next year. Roll on 2014! :D

seaside

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 20:37 »
Summer cabbages and cauli/broccoli suffered in the heat, but the courgette/squash have made up for it. And what a delight to have a blight/botrytis free year. Fantastic tomatoes and cucumbers, two crops of peas.

But the best of all has been the pure pleasure of the light and warmth of a proper Summer, and the ability to plan outdoor days and trips without the spectre of murk and rain. I can enjoy the Autumn and Winter now a fair shake has been had.

Thrift

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 20:58 »
I didn't have much interest this year. It was so cold early on that I didn't plant anything till May when there was some chance of germination.

The rabbits were extra abundant and had a good chomp at my carrots and beans so they were disabled but made a valiant effort later. I avoided potatoes because of last year's blight and again the rabbits ate all the strawberries before they were even ripe! The lettuce also took a bashing - it doesn't help that the cat seems to have gone into retirement.  ::)

Must try harder next year.

the goodlife

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 22:04 »
glad everyone has had a great year , ive been growing since I was 12 and now at 43 I am still learning.

have been down to the local mushroom farm and managed to bag loads of mushroom spore straw so I have built a small raised bed and placed in darkness cover comes off next week and see what happens ?

chillimummy

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 23:33 »
My second year of allotment and like lot of people didnt have good year last year. what little I planted between weeding and digging, didnt come to much.
This year has been great and made me glad did not give up last year.  :) been amazed at what I have managed to grow and freezer getting very full. still got sack of new potatoes and main crop ready!  brilliant
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

xx
Odd one....Next season seeds from this season crops

Started by Thamesmeadhammer on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 18:21
by zazen999
xx
New Season

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post February 29, 2012, 18:10
by sazhig
xx
First of the season

Started by tosca100 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 14, 2015, 16:23
by sunshineband
xx
Twice in one season!

Started by Nickchick on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 10, 2009, 19:26
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 39 queries.