When is a jam not a jam?

• 14 Replies

Maryann

• Experienced Member
When is a jam not a jam?
« on: September 28, 2011, 14:50 »
If I add the sieved pulp back to the juice and then boil it up with the sugar - is this still Jam....just seedless jam?

It's easy for me to steam the fruit in my new juice steamer - takes about an hour for soft fruit. Then I'm left with a lot of quite wet pulp. I know I can use it to make cheese but surely if I just sieve it and add it back to the juice and then proceed as normal it is jam....isn't it?

I only ask because I can't find any recipes anywhere that tell you to do it this way but if you like seedless jam rather than jelly then I'm not sure what other way to achieve it.

What do you think?
I Came.....I Saw......I Composted

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: When is a jam not a jam?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 14:55 »
That's what I do with my raspberry jam..cos I don't like the pips.

You are right,  it's just seedless raspberry jam, when you need to label it

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 16:18 »
Thanks for quick reply - much appreciated. I was a bit worried because when reading recipes that use the pulp they tend to call it a 'cheese' and say it doesn't keep quite as long as jam as less sugar used.
I couldn't quite get my head around why you couldn't add the pulp (sieved) back to juice and make jam with it. After all - its only had pips removed hasn't it.

Thanks for putting my mind to rest  :)

Chazs

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 10:51 »
 I too was wondering about this as i'm about to do the same thing with quince, have made enough cheese and have pulp over so will now make jam.
Thank you for this .
cheerio

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 12:07 »
Well now I have mixed results for this last lot I made. I tried to sieve the pips and stones from the fruit but it was such hard work and I got very little pulp. I wish there was a machine that could do the job for you but I have searched the internet without success.

Anyway I added the pulp back to the juice and boiled it up as usual but this time it didn't really gel together and I ended up with mostly jelly except for the last jar I potted up which was very thick and more like a seedless jam.

I think it would work fine if you get the amount of pulp you need but I'm not sure I would bother again. Most of the electrical attachments or machines you can buy to de-seed fruit are specifically for apples and tomatoes. All the reviews without exception say not to try blackberries or raspberries as they either clog up the machine or even worse - break the attachments. This batch of fruit had blackberries, raspberries and sloes so it was very very seedy & stoney which didn't help  :(

hamstergbert

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 12:50 »
try thinking a little sideways - if it will make passata it will probably work as a barrier to seeds etc in pulping soft fruit also.....

The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 14:39 »
try thinking a little sideways

Tried that but it gave me a headache  :tongue2:

Yes I agree in principle that is 'should' work but every review I've read (and I've looked at dozens) say that they are great for apples and toms but not blackberries or raspberries.
I'm not sure why - unless it is the sheer number of seeds/pips per ratio of fruit that clog up the mechanics. Apple and tomato seeds are bigger so maybe it works well for them but not the smaller seeds.

Spana

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 15:48 »
Well, not quite what you're asking about but along the same sort of lines, I made seedless apple and blackberry jam yesterday.
Then cooked all the peelings and cores from the apples and tipped in the blackberry seeds for the last few minutes of cooking.  Dripped it through muslin and got some nice apple and blackberry jelly as a bonus :happy:

I would try anything you can think of and learn from the result.

Had about half pint of stewed apple  left over  this morning, mashed it up a bit, added an egg white  and turned it into a very nice sorbet.  The handful of blackberries left from yesterdays jam has made a coulis to pour over. :happy:

Just go with what ever and dont forget to tell us if it works :lol:

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 23:00 »
My first ever Jam attempt last week.. I moved onto my new lottie and picked the remaining few rasps and damsons, then some blackberries from the hedges on the site.

Added some cooking apples and coocked all till soft. Sieved it hard with a wooden spoon and had left the pips and some pulp..

.. then added the sugar and lemon juice and boiled till setting point was established.. I called it "jamelly" as its not a jam or a jelly.. more like a smooth jam but also like a jelly - does this make sense   :unsure:

Delicious  :D
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 11:39 »
Yes Gavin - perfect sense, sounds like you have a natural talent for jam making. I have made the same jam in the past and called in hedgerow jelly. It was thick and jam like but without the seeds. I just can't do all that sieving as have dodgy elbow and it aches after a couple of minutes - got my hubby to do that batch for me. Trouble is I like to do my jam making during the day and he is normally at work. When I got him to sieve that batch it was nearly 10pm before I was potting it up!

gavinjconway

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 12:16 »
I was given 2 red currant bushes yesterday and a white bush on its way to being dug up and I will collect soon.. so more fruit for me next year to make jams and jellies.. Also have 220 strawberry plants and runners growing in pots now to be planted out in the new lottie.. may have to give some away!! Cant wait for thee fruit to start bearing - then to find people to dish it out to!!  :D

hamstergbert

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 15:48 »
start spreading the word now to people you know to start saving all their empty jam jars for you - may help when you find yourself next year in the traditional perpetual rolling jamjar shortage crisis.  You'll probably still not have enough though - none of us ever do.....

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 17:17 »
Yep - never have enough jars - I've been buying trays of them each year to make up the shortfall which is very annoying but I beg borrow and steal them where ever I can and never have enough.
Over 200 strawberry plants is massive - did you count them all  ???
Watching Monty Don the other night on Gardeners World he was spacing his new plants out about 9" apart (hubby was cracking up at this as I had insisted he plant up all of our baby plants last year packed into one bed - as "they dont mind being close together").
I was citing our local pick your own fields where they seem quite close together but now I'm a bit worried we may have squashed them in a bit. We dont have much space left now so 9" apart would probably mean only about 20 - 30 plants in our bed instead of the 50 - 60 that are presently there. But if that means they produce more fruit then that's what we will have to do.
You will need a lot of space for 200+ plants.

Spana

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 18:38 »
......and a good strong back when it comes to picking time :D

gavinjconway

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2011, 19:37 »
I know 200 is massive and a spacing of 14" all round will take up at least a 5x5mt block in my lottie... Already earmarked it for them. I give so much away.. may be a bit too ambitious but I'll do a "pick your own" for the birds If I have to!!

Jars - yes.. I'm collecting all the time for Granny to make jam but she's not doing it anymore so they are now in my loft piling up.. 

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 29 queries.