breadmakers

• 8 Replies

splodger

breadmakers
« on: January 18, 2008, 19:31 »
i've just got 1 - off freecycle -  :wink: hardly used - with instructions etc

put it on the timer - so it made a loaf last night - is it normal to get a strong whiff  of yeast?

also - i followed recipe for brown bread - to the letter - which included salt - i begrudgingly added it (i have a salt free diet) - i found it really salty to taste - it was only 1 teaspoon - do you think i can get away with not putting salt in?

Sally A

breadmakers
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 19:49 »
I don't think salt is a necessary ingredient to bread making, I just had a look at me baps, and there's no salt in the ingredients.

I don't have a breadmaker, so am unsure if it necessary for gizmos.

gobs

breadmakers
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 19:50 »
Not easily, it is there to stop the bread over rising, but you can get away with a lot less, though.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

splodger

breadmakers
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 20:39 »
when you don't use salt - it's amazing how strong it is when you have some - that's why i don't use pre made sauces or ready meals etc

next time - i'll try using much less (a pinch or two) and see what happens

i might have to resort to using just the dough facility - then bake in the oven

Sally A

breadmakers
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 20:46 »
Had a look at me other pack of baps, wholemeal - no salt, white - salt, but both with the same percentage of sodium per 100g (0.5g).

Try it totally without, once, and see how it turns out.

I never put salt when I cook veg, as I reckon the gravy has enough in it, I don't even miss it, but flip, do I notice when someone adds a spoon to their veg pan.

splodger

breadmakers
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 20:52 »
Quote from: "Sally A"
Had a look at me other pack of baps, wholemeal - no salt, white - salt, but both with the same percentage of sodium per 100g (0.5g).

Try it totally without, once, and see how it turns out.

I never put salt when I cook veg, as I reckon the gravy has enough in it, I don't even miss it, but flip, do I notice when someone adds a spoon to their veg pan.

i know what you mean - trouble is the inside of my mouth suffers - if i have salty something - i get ulcers on the inside of my mouth - even too many tomatoes does that too - give me raw garlic, onion, chilli etc - but salt - blaaah

Ice

• muck spreader
breadmakers
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 21:03 »
Quote from: "Sally A"
I just had a look at me baps
:shock:

I have a breadmaker and I don't think you can do away with the salt entirely, it is there for a purpose.  I've had a few failures with my machine and only vary the recipes a little.
Cheese makes everything better.

lefrog

• Experienced Member
breadmakers
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 21:51 »
On a chemical point of view the salt slow down the rising process . not really sure if it s going to change a lot in a breadmachine at all , but it does when making sourdough bread.
Salt help keeping the bread softer , and slow down the drying .
On a taste point , bread without salt tend to be more bland than with.
but as stated above , trying with less salt might be the best , as you ll find the perfect balance and what suit the best to your personnal taste.
hope it helps.
"Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black"
Henry Ford

splodger

breadmakers
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 23:16 »
thanks guys - i'll try reducing the salt - and wing it from there

i want to start really experimenting - but thought i'd be better to get the basics right first  :roll:

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 30 queries.