Technique - How should I clear the weeds?

• 26 Replies

chubby

• My Band
Technique - How should I clear the weeds?
« on: May 04, 2010, 20:25 »
OK, I've been reading through a load of posts with suggestions on clearing an overgrown plot and I'm afraid I have a more elemental question! How do I weed?

My mate and I inherited a very overgrown plot last year in September. We dug up the large weeds, cleared out all of the bric-a-brac and (wrongly) had it rotovated. Since September though we have't done anything and we really need to get down and get started.

The first problem is psycological - it is such a big job, that we tend not to even get started cause there is loads to clear and (for me anyway) our previous attempts to clear the weeds resulted in major back pain after a couple of hours work (kicked in the next day).

The second problem is that both of us are complete novices. We aren't put off by hard work, but need to know that we are doing things right - otherwise the first problem kicks in again!

So the plot this year isn't grow up to the knees like it was when we took it on, but has grow over. So my question is how do we clear the weeds? Like I mentioned we've dug up the big weeds right down to the roots - but now we have lots of little weeds and grasses.

We've tried lifting the soil with a fork, and then sifting through picking out the weeds by hand. This is really bad on the back (and after 2 hours of it last year - put me out for two days and got me visiting the chiropractor) and didn't really feel like we'd achieved much.

I've read about using a hoe to cur the weeds - but don't they just grow back? We don't necessarily want to plant anything immediately, we just want to get the soil in a good state, and don't want to rush into anything.

Has anyone got any advice on the correct technique to weed out loads of smaller weeds correctly?

Thanks all.

Chubby

DavidT

Re: Technique - How should I clear the weeds?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 20:29 »
If there are no crops in, then I would suggest using Glyphosate weedkilller. You can plant 24 hours after treatment. :D

prakash_mib

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 20:33 »
If there are no crops in, then I would suggest using Glyphosate weedkilller. You can plant 24 hours after treatment. :D
careful, had a bottle of roundup last year. It says dig/cultivate after 7 days (But i left the plot vacant for whole winter for safe sake)
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 20:34 »
Firstly, cover any areas you have already begun to clear with something -- thick cardboard, weed suppressant membrane, black polythene... anyhting to keep out the light and stop the weeds from growing again. Weight it down so it doesn't blow away.

Then tackle on area at a time, digging across the area a row at a time and then moving across to the begiinig again, moving backwards. That way you don't tread on what you have just dug. I use a fork and rest after each three or four 'digs', then rake it over to get off little weeds and any largish stones.

If you are not going to plant it straight away, cover it up again until you are ready. Hope that helps.

Lots more info here, from Growign Help above too  :D :D :D

http://www.allotment-garden.org/articles/Clearing_a_New_Allotment.php
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

pairofacres

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 20:37 »
....and drink a protein shake before you head for the plot. It'll help you build muscle fast, strengthening your back a lot quicker, so it hurts less in future  :)

prakash_mib

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 20:42 »
sunshine is right.
one more advise. you have to start live with the weeds. When you grow produce you wont have any thriving weeds. read carefully. I didnt said you wont have any weeds.
Being practical if you are not entering your plot for RHS then start living with them. Cull out perennial weeds and the small weeds grows for ever and ever and ever. you cant stop them. start doing little by little. say 4 sq feet a day (thats a lot of digging) and after you find a space for planting you can plant according to the season there.  Start imagining how your plot should look like in 5 years time. and work towards that goal. Baby steps.
Last year I had acquired half a plot and All i can do was this patch about 6X10

After a very long winter and lot of digging, weeding, and clearing I have a full half a plot.

Spana

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 20:44 »
I'd go with the weed killer.  If the perennials like docks and nettles look like recovering do them again.  I would leave it for several weeks and let it get right down into the roots.  Sometimes in dry weather it takes some time to show any effect but if you get a good rain after a prolonged dry spell it then starts to show so if you go down this road dont think its not working.
I know a lot of people dont like using weed killer but a lot of gardens are cleared this way and then turn organic when the plot is clean.
Make sure you dont let your spray drift onto neighboring plots
Good luck with it

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 20:47 »
So it is weedkiller or muscle power -- over to you, Chubby  :lol: :lol: :lol:

chubby

• My Band
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 20:54 »
Wow - what a helpful bunch.

I'd already thought that it would be a good idea to divide it up into four and tackle each quarter as necessary. I'm going to get something to cover up the remaining three quarters whilst we tackle one quarter.

I don't like the idea of using weedkiller - but if I end up back at the chiropractor I may have to. I'm 35 but I sound like a right old fuddy-duddy - problem is I've never really done any gardening before, so I'm using new muscles and doing to much to early.

I write all of this sat here having not visited the allotment for a month or so. What I will do it go and take some pictures and measure it out and post here again. Any suggestions of what kind of information would be helpful.

Thanks all.

Swing Swang

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 20:56 »
When considering how to rid a plot of weeds the hardest option is usually the correct one.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 20:59 »
Pictures are great  :D

You can look back on them this time last year and feel proud at how much you have done.

Little and often is best if you are not used to digging.

If your plot is nearby, half an hour to an hour a day (with rests in between like I mentioned  ;) ) will give you real progress so you can get something planted.

Prakash's advice about having a plan is a good one, too  :D

Potatoes would be good to plant now, in the area you clear first, if you like  :)

chubby

• My Band
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 21:11 »
Would anyone recommend using a dutch hoe to weed - or should you be digging out the whole weed including the root using a fork?

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9411034&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3C{9372012}%2fcategories%3C{9372021}%2fcategories%3C{9372063}%2fspecificationsProductType%3dcultivators__hoes___soil_sieves&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=lister&ts=1273003566706&isSearch=false

My previous technique was to dig in a fork, then push down to lift the soil and then bend down and rifle through the soil and pick out the weeds. This involves a lot of back stretching.

Some people recommend using a hoe which cuts the weed under the soil and then rake through to get the weeds. This would leave a root - which would grow back. So how does this approach work?

Sorry if I'm sounding dim!!

Thanks

Chubby

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 21:21 »
If you leave the root of perennial weeds in the ground they will just grow back. That is plants like dandelion, dock, thistle, couch grass, bindweed etc.

Actually most things you really really want to be rid of  :lol: :tongue2:

I dig up the whole root using a fork and then shake off the soil while it is on the prngs, then drop it, bash it a bit to get as much of the rest of the soil off and throw it onto my weedpile using the prongs, all without bending down  :D

That is quicker than it sounds.

Unless I see a wireworm when I pick it up quick to get rid of it  :tongue2: :tongue2: :lol:

Annual weed seedlings I just dig in like grren manure if I am going to plant spuds.

If I am making a seedbed then I rake them out after I have dug it over and taken out all the perennials

Hope that helps a bit  :)

prakash_mib

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 21:25 »
My previous technique was to dig in a fork, then push down to lift the soil and then bend down and rifle through the soil and pick out the weeds. This involves a lot of back stretching.

My technique is to dig a square foot or two and then sit down in cross legs and pull the weeds/roots one by one. not back breaking at all.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 21:26 »

My technique is to dig a square foot or two and then sit down in cross legs and pull the weeds/roots one by one. not back breaking at all.

I like this idea a lot  :D

xx
Need to clear weeds and have visible results in 4-6 weeks

Started by mrsparkle on Grow Your Own

42 Replies
Last post July 17, 2012, 21:33
by Kirpi
xx
Apple drop. To clear or not to clear?

Started by LottyLouis on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 24, 2015, 21:03
by Growster...
xx
Rotavating the plot - technique?

Started by Paulj on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 19, 2013, 14:24
by aelf
xx
Weeds, Weeds and more weeds (oh and couch grass)

Started by meriad on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2019, 17:10
by jaydig

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 29 queries.