Using seeds from supermarket tomatoes

• 17 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Using seeds from supermarket tomatoes
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 09:25 »
My advice would be not to rely on just the seeds "harvested" from fruit that you enjoyed eating.

You are going to spend 3 or 4 months growing that until you get a harvest which may, or may not, be tasty. If its not tasty, and you decide to rip the plants out, then if you have planted some other, "known good", varieties you will have a fall-back crop.

If they do come "true" then you can keep the seed from them for future years and, chances are, that will come true too.

I grow some Buttternut Squash from seed that a friend gave me years ago. They are outstanding (even if I say so myself!), and I save seed for the following year. But I always grow A.N.Other variety from bought seed just in case mine don't work. (this year I have only managed to grow one viable seedling :( but its also possible that they will be cross pollinated and come up half-squash and half-courgette or somesuch!!, the Squash/Pumpkin family are notoriously promiscuous).

But for the last few years, at least, I have wound up giving away the fruit from the stand-ins :)

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
Re: Using seeds from supermarket tomatoes
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 09:58 »
I've saved seeds from other plot holders Toms ( not F1 ) and all i've done is cut  Toms and spread seeds onto some kitchen role. Let them dry and the following year put the role into a seed tray with a light covering of soil. Got good germination rate but that could have been just luck.

xx
seeds from supermarket veg

Started by casper on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 22, 2012, 19:37
by DD.
xx
koralik tomatoes-trial seeds

Started by grenhouse on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post October 07, 2010, 18:34
by grenhouse
xx
Supermarket Veg

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post January 07, 2011, 23:22
by asd1
xx
What do you all do in winter when you have to eat supermarket veg?!

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post July 23, 2009, 10:31
by NigelB

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 39 queries.