Sweetcorn

• 3 Replies

cc

Sweetcorn
« on: April 28, 2021, 07:52 »
Have two different types Honeydew and Northern extra sweet (something like that). Can they be mixed. I would like to finish the honeydew ones off but there's not enough of them for the whole area. Thank you all for your very valuable time!!

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 08:01 »
This guide tells you all you need to know about which types can be grown together (well, not quite - I'll leave it to you to find out which category yours are in!  ;))
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

lettice

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 11:50 »
Both those varieties are F1 supersweets.
Would not be wise to mix them together or never should mix them with a hybrid or enhanced variety.

If you are not growing the blocks of plants almost side by side, then you maybe ok.
From what I have read on growing mixed varieties, the blocks of plants need to be a minimum of fifteen  feet apart.
I know the allotments near me put up a single panel of trellis between sweetcorn crops from neighbouring plots with added pea mesh when they are close by. They swear by this method for stopping any cross pollinating.

You could always grow them in stages, so one variety matures earlier for picking, so then you will reduce any cross pollination of them at the same time.

cc

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 16:04 »
Thanks all

xx
Sweetcorn help

Started by matron on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 10, 2008, 02:39
by ditchdigger
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by montygti on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 13, 2012, 08:41
by DD.
xx
sweetcorn

Started by jameshuk on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 31, 2008, 15:54
by mashauk
xx
sweetcorn

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 11, 2014, 21:24
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.376 seconds with 37 queries.