HorseRadish

• 8 Replies

spudgun

HorseRadish
« on: March 24, 2010, 11:17 »
Hello Peeps.

I'm keen on growing my own horseradish. I know that it is an extremely invasive plant (I saw the photo's of Parsnips horseradish + Rotavator lotty a little while ago).

As it happens I've got an old toilet cistern to use as a pot, is it wise to sink it into the lotty and grow the horseradish in that, or should I really forget the whole idea as too risky? I've got a small area sectioned off by concrete at the lotty where the comfrey and spearmint live, and that has not taken over, so I'm feeling confident.

I remember the horseradish gran used to grow - when she stuck it in the blender for Sunday dinner - blooming hell your eyes would run, but it was the best tasting stuff I've ever had.

Cheers

Stu

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: HorseRadish
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 11:54 »
I would think that so long as your toilet cistern is reasonably deep it would be ideal for growing and containing horseradish in the garden (leave the exit hole in the bottom open for drainage)

Only problem I can see is that your horseradish would of course be bog-standard!  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Trikidiki

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 00:13 »
Only problem I can see is that your horseradish would of course be bog-standard!  :lol:

So droll!! :) :) :)

I bought one of those vegtable planters for a project which may not happen. It measures 600mm x 300m.

Does the team think that it would be ok to grow horseradish inside it if I sunk it into the ground or is it too small?

paintedlady

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 09:20 »
imagine horseradish like you would couch grass, marestail or bindweed - if you don't successfully remove the roots from the soil, it will become a nuisance weed.  I grow horseradish in a crate about 18 inch wide and 2 feet deep and it is quite happy in there and not been at all invasive.

I think the toilet cistern is a great idea but perhaps raise it off the ground with something like bricks to support it so that the roots don't make their way straight into the ground. 

I bought one of those vegtable planters for a project which may not happen. It measures 600mm x 300m.

300 metres?  :ohmy:    Joke aside I think I know what you mean, it sounds ample (in mm) but what is the depth ... allow for deeper roots  ;)
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 14:16 »
I cut the bottom out of an old dustbin, sank it into the ground, leaving about 6" sticking out of the top and planted into that... let's hope that can keep the stuff contained!

Trikidiki

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 18:10 »

300 metres?  :ohmy:    Joke aside I think I know what you mean, it sounds ample (in mm) but what is the depth ... allow for deeper roots  ;)

Oops.  Its 300 metres deep as well !! 

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 18:28 »
is it the horse radish root you harvest or is it what ever grows above ground, forgive my lack of knowledge but ive only ever seen horse radish as source in jars but i thought it was made from the root of the plant.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 19:14 »
you're right, Massa, it's the root (and fresh root is vicious, or so I've been told!)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

spudgun

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 23:34 »
Thanks for the advice folks, I'm gonna give it a crack in the cistern ;) - if all goes well, I'll send you some of the horseradish source :)

Stu

xx
Horseradish

Started by Growing4mykids on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 02, 2013, 20:26
by gremlin
xx
horseradish

Started by Rampant_Weasel on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 13, 2008, 19:32
by richardwil
clip
Horseradish

Started by Pescador on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 16, 2017, 06:41
by victoria park
xx
Horseradish

Started by BLOOMING LOVELY on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 19, 2011, 23:46
by Kristen

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 39 queries.