What are you sowing now?

• 62 Replies

Aramintha

• Come Outside!
Re: What are you sowing now?
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2013, 11:58 »
more beetroot and carrots. Am I too late for more parsnips? More salad leaves.  But I think I've got everything else covered, just need to get on with this weeding and got to build a brassica cage, but debating on whether to do a more permanent frame, or debris netting round and over canes again.

I think too much and don't act fast enough!   :( :(

I hope not cos I sowed some last week. I sowed some Mangetout (the purple one) yesterday and I planted some more onion sets that I got for cheap from the local DIY store.
I came, I saw, I planted potatoes...

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2013, 13:15 »
Cima di Rapa means "turnip tops" but it's a brassica 

"Rapini is classified scientifically as Brassica rapa subspecies rapa,[1] in the same subspecies as the turnip"

It's quick and easy to grow but it does go to seed quickly, esp in hot weather.  Chooks won't mind though

Or in other words, the pigeons, slugs and caterpillars will all love it and it needs netting! :lol:

smellykipper

• Experienced Member
  • Always willing to learn
Hi ho, Hi ho
It's off to work we go
(whistles)
Hi ho, Hi ho, Hi ho

Auntiemogs

I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2013, 00:23 »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Calabrese-F1-Marathon-min-35-seeds-Free-P-P-/230764291883?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&hash=item35ba9fa72b
good fast delivery with alot of seeds with free postage  :)
On dear, and I was being so good!   ::) :lol:

Ha!  Hello Auntie M  :lol:  I've managed to resist the urge to order the rapini.  I'm getting itchy fingers though...... and this calabrese looks good.  I'm doing well with calabrese 'sakura' though...

Auntiemogs

« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2013, 02:18 »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Calabrese-F1-Marathon-min-35-seeds-Free-P-P-/230764291883?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&hash=item35ba9fa72b
good fast delivery with alot of seeds with free postage  :)
On dear, and I was being so good!   ::) :lol:
Ha!  Hello Auntie M  :lol:  I've managed to resist the urge to order the rapini.  I'm getting itchy fingers though...... and this calabrese looks good.  I'm doing well with calabrese 'sakura' though...
I'm afraid I failed to resist the dwarf funner beans Maxi,  they look so pretty!  ::) :lol:

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2013, 02:43 »
I'm afraid I failed to resist the dwarf funner beans Maxi,  they look so pretty!  ::) :lol:

They do and they are! I wish I'd sown a few dwarfs to keep at home.  Is it too late?  I have happy growing memories of dwarf beans.... so prolific and tasty too .......

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2013, 09:12 »
I've sown my winter cabbages (2 sorts) and some  Autumn Green Calabrese.

Oh and more salad leaves  :)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2013, 11:19 »
Do you sow your winter cabbages direct or in pots etc like I did for my summer ones? I am also a bit annoyed as I wanted red cabbage this year (the right, ball-like ones)  and bought a variety from Dobies that said red cabbage... It is definitely a leafy green with red stems though and not what I would call a red cabbage! Oh well this is only my first year so lesson learnt :)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2013, 12:57 »
They do and they are! I wish I'd sown a few dwarfs to keep at home.  Is it too late?  I have happy growing memories of dwarf beans.... so prolific and tasty too .......
Pretty sure you have time Maxi.  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2013, 14:33 »
Do you sow your winter cabbages direct or in pots etc like I did for my summer ones? I am also a bit annoyed as I wanted red cabbage this year (the right, ball-like ones)  and bought a variety from Dobies that said red cabbage... It is definitely a leafy green with red stems though and not what I would call a red cabbage! Oh well this is only my first year so lesson learnt :)

Yes I grow them in modules, and may even have to pot them into bigger pots - cos some of them have to wait until the potatoes come out.

With red cabbage it's usually only the centre hearts that look really red. You won't see that until you cut them for harvest ;)

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2013, 16:57 »
Pretty sure you have time Maxi.  ;)

You are very bad for encouraging me to buy more seeds.  I might cheat and buy a couple of plants instead.  We're off to a garden centre near my Dads tomorrow so I'll have a look there.... I'm only taking cash though - will leave the bank cards at home :lol:

compostqueen

« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2013, 16:30 »
I'm going to be sowing some more dwarf beans  :)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2013, 21:02 »
We sowed more carrots today, well when i say we, i mean hubby. I lay on the sofa wrapped in a duvet watching through the window.

I think thats five black bins now all a week or so apart.

How much longer can i keep sowing them for, determined to get decent carrots for once.

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2013, 21:24 »
I've sown Autumn king carrots, flat leaf parsley, and rocket!  Meant to sow a lot more but ran out of time 8)
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

xx
Sowing now

Started by christokes87 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 28, 2012, 19:31
by mumofstig
xx
What are you sowing now?

Started by RosieMay on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 26, 2010, 12:37
by Sid
xx
Sowing outside

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 24, 2012, 09:15
by Nikkithefoot
xx
What are you sowing now?

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

43 Replies
Last post January 14, 2013, 20:19
by hightide

Page created in 0.405 seconds with 35 queries.