Tomato watering in "grow pot" growbag question

• 4 Replies

jsgreen89

Tomato watering in "grow pot" growbag question
« on: May 01, 2011, 21:07 »
I bought a couple of those growbag greenhouses this week (and some growbags..) to try some tomatoes down the allotment this year.

I've planted two tomato plants in each growbag, and have used one of those grow pot things (a sort of extension tube with an outer water reservoir) on each plant. The instructions say to water thoroughly then not fill up the outer reservoir for 2 weeks to encourage the roots to grow downwards. However 2 weeks without water sounds bad, and surely just watering the centre pot won't encourage much downward growth?

I'm tempted to use instinct on this one and water when I think necessary, but anyone else tried a similar technique? The pot in question is this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001ONHTME/ref=s9_simh_gw_p86_d2_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1ZTQMWQ131PAYGCJSHFF&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

Ta! :)

Elaine G

Re: Tomato watering in "grow pot" growbag question
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 22:01 »
Sorry cannot answer your question, but am waiting for an answer as I planted a tomato and 2 cucumbers in grow pots today!
I too thought the instructions a little odd.

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

jsgreen89

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 11:28 »
Yeah I'm tempted to give them another water today (the centre and the outer bit). One is looking a little limp, so probably needs more water.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 11:49 »
water the middle pot as little as you can, obviously you don't want the plant to die, but water the outer ring as normal as the aim is for the long water roots to grow down into the growbag.
This isn't a 'normal' spring........... this year I think we missed spring and went directly to summer :ohmy:

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 12:41 »
I watered mine every other day through the outer ring only, immediately after planting in the growbag. Fed through the inner ring every 4 days once they were fruiting. Had my best ever crops of tomatoes, peppers and aubergines
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

xx
"Leaky Hose" watering

Started by buckie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 07, 2007, 11:10
by Gwiz
xx
Are you a seed "chitting" or "no-chit" sort of person?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 12:00
by crh75
xx
"Spring Onions Are One Of The Easiest Things To Grow" :(

Started by garrarufa on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 18, 2022, 19:48
by Alank
xx
Want a Garden or land to grow fruit and veg, try "Landshare"

Started by gorymorph on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 19:16
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.398 seconds with 40 queries.