pottential newbie chicken keeper here!

• 21 Replies

RuthG

« on: May 19, 2008, 12:28 »
Hi all, after doing some internet research over the last few days, I've finally figured I may as well ask for hints and tips from all you chicken brains on here!

So, what would be your number one tip for:

1. Setting up a chicken coop,

2. Choosing chickens

3. Looking after chickens

The other thing I need answering would be the biggest thing for me really. Obviously I don't want to get chickens and then realise I can't look after them. They will be living on my allotment, which is a 5 min drive from where I live. The thing is I am a nurse, and I work long shifts (07.30 - 21.30) so the days I'm working I won't be able to get to them, however, I would be able to get to them the next day. They would never go without me (or someone going there) for longer than that. So, if that is doable, I guess I'll need to leave the coop open, so that the chickens can get up and go to bed when they want to, is that wise? Obvioulsy I'll make sure they have everything they need. The days that I'm on the allotment they will be able to roam (its 1/4 of an acre), and I will be making a fairly large run for them, for the times that I'm not in the allotment.

Sorry for the ramble, but I really want to get this right!

RuthG

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 12:34 »
Just to add, I only work 3 days a week.

peggyprice

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 12:53 »
Hi Ruth, welcome to the forum!

Others with more experience may be able to advise you better, but I think the biggest worry you'll have in those circumstances will be security at night - if the birds' house won't be closed up and secure you may need to make the run something like Fort Knox to keep out foxes & badgers, specially on an allotment site rather than a domestic garden...  

The other thing to think about on that score is that they like to keep daylight hours - so this time of year they want to be out and about by about 5am if not earlier and not going to bed till around 9.30/10pm.  Mine don't get let out till around 6.15am and they grumble like crazy!  Don't know if that helps or hinders in your circumstances?

I know you can get automatic pop holes, but I'm not sure how they work - someone else round here will be bound to be able to tell you  :lol:

As for your other questions, just have a good browse round this forum - there's LOADS of information about coops, breeds, chicken care etc and I've found some really, really helpful people here who know their stuff and are very willing to share their knowledge.
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 13:05 »
Hi Ruth,

Just to pick up on a couple of points. The auto openers are a bit pricey but they would make the house secure at night (as far as any house is secure!). There are a couple of keepers on here who have them and they seem to be happy with them.

The biggest concern could be leaving them for a day or so without checking on them. I've no idea whether this is ok but you'd need to make sure they have fresh water available and that it's not been knocked over or contaminated, etc.
I'm sure there must be people who have a similar routinge to your own so hopefully they can advise but ours are in our garden and need nursemaiding quite a lot.

Hope you can sort something out.
Once you've worked that out, the rest is easy !  :D

Rob

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 13:30 »
hi good luck with starting with chickens.

i wouldnt really like to leave them alone for that long, but if they are in a run would  one of your allotment  neighbours help the days  you work in return for the eggs layed on those days maybe? its not so bad in the summer leaving them as long as there is plenty of fresh water and food but they do like to be secure as it gets dusk cause of mr foxy so winter time they would want to be out less.
i know nothing about the auto pop holes so cant comment on them.

mine are kept with my ponies n horse 3 miles away from me so they get checked twice a day as i cant get more than that but they free range with the house open for them to get into. they seem very happy with that arrangement thi stime of year i dont tend to go at night till as as late as poss so they are left from 1st thing till between 6pm and 9 pm depending on what i have on. the days they go bed at 6 they do grumble at me as its still light lol.
hope that helps.

RuthG

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 13:53 »
Would it be very wrong of me to start have the chooks at the allotment, but then tell my husband that I can't look after them there, so they then have to live in my garden?  :twisted:

Wildeone

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 13:56 »
Quote from: "RuthG"
Would it be very wrong of me to start have the chooks at the allotment, but then tell my husband that I can't look after them there, so they then have to live in my garden?  :twisted:
No that sounds like a perfectly cunning plan!  :D  8)
1 x hubby
2 x daughters
3 x chickens
1 x bunny
6 x african snails  . . . . . and counting.

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 14:22 »
perfect plan if you ask me lol

noshed

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 15:00 »
I don't know why you didn't think of that before...
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

RuthG

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 15:43 »
On a more serious note, I'm not sure I can commit to keeping them. The only other option would be for me to change my shifts, so that i do either 07.30 - 15.30, or 13.30 - 21.30, that way I'll be able to get to them everyday.

The automatic openers, will they close and lock the chooks out if they aren't all in there?

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 15:54 »
You could attach a timer so that the stragglers don't get shut out at night.

RuthG

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 15:58 »
Quote from: "kimT"
You could attach a timer so that the stragglers don't get shut out at night.
So that it opens once in the night kind of thing?

Sorry I'm so dense!

I really want to keep chooks, but I want to do right by them, not right by me, if you see what I mean!

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 17:30 »
Instead of it closing as the light fades you set the timer so that it closes later so your sure all your girls are in bed.

A bit like whenyou set the timer for your lights at home.

RuthG

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 17:38 »
Ah, I see, that would be good. Certianly some hing to think about!

peggyprice

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 18:04 »
It's good that you are doing the worrying now, rather than later, Ruth!

Is it actually not possible for you to have a couple of hens in your back garden rather than none at all at your allotment (if you see what I mean!) ?  As you'll have seen from this forum there are about as many ways of keeping and housing chickens as there are people to care for them, and back garden chooks are very well catered for these days...

smiley
Newbie chicken keeper

Started by Dizzee on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 09, 2011, 20:39
by Dizzee
xx
Newbie chicken keeper - Couple of quick questions

Started by cudders on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post October 22, 2007, 22:35
by Aunt Sally
xx
Disinfectant for mud runs - Sorry Newbie Chook keeper again

Started by Fiona55 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 06, 2012, 21:43
by themagicaltoad1
xx
New Chicken Keeper

Started by AndyRVTR on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 24, 2008, 13:41
by woodburner

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 32 queries.