DIY propagator?

• 6 Replies

agapanthus

DIY propagator?
« on: September 11, 2009, 23:32 »
Has anyone ever made one? I'm looking for plans for a LARGE one....it would be nice to grow all the toms, chillis and peppers together, rather than have to stagger the planting.
Thanks!!  ;)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: DIY propagator?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 06:07 »
That'd be big plastic bag in my case then!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Yabba

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 07:33 »
We've got a couple of 25' heated tables. Construction's pretty simple ply wood -> layer of sand -> soil warming cables ( and thermostat ) -> more sand -> cover with some of that black porous plastic matting stuff. We also have a couple of plastic "tents" which can be used to keep even more heat in , and they both ( the tents ) have a fixture for a fluorescent so we can provide more light if required, but they're in a greenhouse so we only use those *really* early in the year.

Costs quite a few pennies in eleccy to run though ;)

¥

agapanthus

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 12:46 »
Blimey Yabba....they are BIG!! Lovely set-up you have there!!! 8) 8) 8) Thanks for the info!!!

Stablechooks

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 13:06 »
Great Idea
I made mine from a coupleof sheets of ply. Gave me a 2ftx2ft box with 8" of height inside. I also lined it with foil backed insulation which I had spare from a previous job. I topped it off with a sheet of polycarbonate (good for light penetration, insulation and did not need a frame for it. 
Key things to think about are
a) How will you ventilate it  - I just lift one corner of the sheet during the day.
b) what growing height to achieve - once I had lined the base (more important than sides) I had less growing height than I wanted.
c) How heavy these can be - my size is just about liftable with sand and soil cables in it - you need some good staging to hold it on.

I like the idea of the tented tops ( thanks Yabba)  - may customise mine with 2 hinged sheets of polycarb, this will give me more height too! ;)
Learning... always learning!

agapanthus

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 21:45 »
Thank you chooks! Will start a plan using a combo of the 2!! :)

Yabba

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 08:57 »
If you make the tents removable ( only one of ours is ), then you can use the benches year round ;)

You'd also be better making them a tad more square than triangle so you gain more height at the front/back. Up until last year we've only used them for dahlia tubers/cuttings, so the height wasn't important, but this year it was noticeable when I had my early toms/chilli plants in there .. chances are I'll redo them before next year.

¥

xx
sunbed propagator

Started by dmg on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post January 23, 2013, 19:17
by carlrmj
xx
help needed for propagator

Started by philskin on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post August 24, 2008, 19:32
by dugless
xx
Homemade heated propagator

Started by Longshanks on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post March 10, 2019, 09:17
by Pescador
xx
Homemade propagator/coldframe

Started by Weston grower on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 19:13
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 38 queries.