How do you rot manure ?

• 5 Replies

alybong

How do you rot manure ?
« on: May 06, 2009, 12:16 »
can get hold of some horse manure but ive no idea what to so with it after that,,,,, what i need to know is :- do i store it in a container or just pile it up in a heap ? does it need to be covered or do i leave it exposed ? and do i need to turn it ?  Oh! and how long does "well rotted manure" have to rot for ???  Sorry but im new to this and im also blonde which dosnt help matters,,,,

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
Re: How do you rot manure ?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 12:40 »
I'm new to it too, but after building my heap I was advised to cover it. This helps maintain a high temperature to help it rot down, I believe.

To be honest, the three heaps on our allotment are uncovered and seem to rot down fairly quickly (though they are a LOT larger than my own heap!)

Oliver

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 12:50 »
I'm new to it too, but after building my heap I was advised to cover it. This helps maintain a high temperature to help it rot down, I believe.

To be honest, the three heaps on our allotment are uncovered and seem to rot down fairly quickly (though they are a LOT larger than my own heap!)
I take 'well rotted' to mean - old stuff, not fresh out the animal - it will be too strong and will 'burn' the plants.  So make a heap and leave it for a bit (about six months?) to weather and lose its smell, then use it as a pre-winter dig in. The saying goes about any compost: if you are prepared to pick it up in your hands, it's ready. We just have a big pile and use it when we need it.
(Also take a look here for interest: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A2339624)
Oliver
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 13:15 »
Same as above, I just pile it up, cover with old carpet to keep the rain off (it prevents washing some of the goodness out), leave it till Autumn then dig in
Paul

noshed

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 13:35 »
Grow your courgettes in it - just make a hole the size of a washing up bowl in the top of your heap and fill it with soil. Then plant. Watch out for slugs and keep it watered - you will not want for courgettes/squash/pumpkins, depending on what you plant of course...
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 18:02 »
We leave an area of our grass to grow long and cut it in early July, then heap that with the manure to make compost for the Autumn.

We also put thin layer's (2") of fresh manure every so often (every 6"-12") in our compost heap too.

But other than that just heaping Manure will compost it.

xx
How good is Pig Manure mixed with Horse Manure?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 17:50
by MichelleC
xx
Chicken Manure Pellets vs DIY Store Manure

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 14:01
by Hampshire Hog
xx
Green manure vs animal manure

Started by Jai on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 14:25
by Trillium
xx
Llama Manure and Manure in general

Started by Ace on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 02, 2011, 15:09
by Ace

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 36 queries.