Soft shell Egg

• 5 Replies

susiedig

• warrens letting agency
Soft shell Egg
« on: May 05, 2011, 17:12 »
Can anyone advise as to why, out of 13 laying hens, one of them has recently started laying a very soft shelled egg? The diet is obviously the same for them all, so I don't think it can be a dietry problem....any suggestions please?

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
Re: Soft shell Egg
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 18:30 »
Sometimes I get a late egg (evening time) in the nest box that is perfect in every way except the "shell" is just a dusting of white granular powder. I have decided, maybe erroneously, that this is actually tomorrow morning's egg that has arrived too quickly and the shell has not been properly formed. This is a very different soft egg from the ones I have during the winter which are just in a wobbly skin, always seem to be laid from the perch and burst on impact with the floor!!
3 o'clock is both too early and too late to start anything - Sartre said so.

susiedig

• warrens letting agency
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 19:17 »
We were getting them too. Every morning there was a floppy membrame on the floor, but now this has stopped so I suppose this soft shell is an improvement - lol. However, the shell is sometimes formed all except the very top of the shell and sometimes, like this morning, it is so fragile that just picking it up breaks it immediately.

I empty the boxes every evening of any late eggs, this is definately laid either very late or first thing....

kellym

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 19:40 »
i have been getting soft shelled eggs for the last week form one of my girls. i brought them extra oyster shell as suggested on here as it could be a calcium deffieciency. im still really new to all this so like you im still seeking advice but hope i have helped a little   :blush:

susiedig

• warrens letting agency
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 20:15 »
Thanks all......I have added some Oyster shekk recently so I#ll wait and see if there is any improvement.

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 20:39 »
If you want to find out more (more than you ever thought you would want or need to know  :tongue2:) go to this site http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook

xx
Soft egg shell

Started by jamima on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 05, 2010, 13:33
by orchardlady
xx
Soft Shell

Started by Curlytop on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 04, 2010, 09:22
by joyfull
xx
soft shell

Started by thebumbles on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post March 10, 2010, 17:33
by thebumbles
xx
Soft shell ?

Started by loam ranger on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 29, 2008, 16:59
by loam ranger

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 40 queries.