Big eggs

• 7 Replies

Jeanette

Big eggs
« on: November 18, 2010, 22:21 »
One of my girls always lays very big eggs, today she laid one and it weighs 105gram. I am worried about her laying such large eggs over a short period of time. ( it makes my eyes water just thinking about it). Will it do her any harm. After she had laid the egg she just carried on as normal. running around and was straight for the food again.  Am i just worrying over nothing ?. :wub: ???

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
Re: Big eggs
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 22:24 »
Hi Jeanette, i am not sure about there being a problem as I am a newbie, but wanted to say that it's very impressive for your girl!! I hope you are giving her huge treats for that  ;)
I am sure that somebody knowledgeable will come along soon to help you, but I can't imagine there being a huge problem.  Good luck!

josh5357

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 22:25 »
 Hi Jeanette
How old is she

Jeanette

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 11:10 »
The chicken that is laying the big eggs was hatched in the summer and she is a blue belle.
She is a beautifull girl and is always first to the feed she just lays enormous eggs.

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 11:33 »
One of my hens used to lay huge double yolkers the biggest was 119g . She settled down to lay normal large eggs. The huge eggs are not good for the hen but as there is nothing to be done it`s best not to worry, just keep a watchful eye on her. :)

Ps not to generous with the treats as fat hens have trouble laying.

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 12:26 »
I had four ex-batts all of whom laid the biggest eggs I'd ever seen (from a chicken that is, ostrich eggs are marginally larger).  They were by no means perfectly formed though.

We had eggs like that for a good year until one by one they dried up.  We still have one of the ex-batts alive but she hasn't laid for months.

We have three other hens now, not ex-battery, and they lay perfect little eggs.

rudy

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 17:56 »
I have 4 blubelles and one got egg bound because the egg was enormous. I found her last Sunday straining away.  2 baths and vaseline did not work, I couldn't get my finger in far enough to manipulate anything. The choice was put her out of her misery or try to break the egg. We did the latter because she's worth a try as she is this years hatch(feb i think) so anyway, we made a hole in the massive egg, syringed out the contents and found another normal sized egg in the middle of that one!  :ohmy:
This we also had to break, syringe out everything and removed every bit of shell. Then we rinsed her out :( with TCP solution cuz that's all we had and put her in the conservatory to rest.
She was much better the next day and the day after that she went back up the allotment with the others and carried on laying.
I always wanted big eggs but not if they are going to do that to my chucks, so now I won't encourage it by extra treats or anything, just let what comes natural.
blimey, not more marrows............!

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 19:16 »
My black rock (sort of) laid normal sized eggs then as time went on they got larger and larger, they wouldn't fit in the egg boxes and I crushed a number trying to shut the lids.  I noticed the sheels started to get thin and wrinkled, but she was OK eating drinking etc no problem.  A few weeks ago she went into moult and hasn't laid since, so have no idea if she will do again.  I think I read somewhere that as they get older they can lay bigger eggs, nothing you can do about it though.

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 38 queries.