Broken toe?

• 8 Replies

themagicaltoad1

Broken toe?
« on: June 15, 2010, 21:40 »
One of my 8 wk old chicks has developed a limp and curls his foot under when walking. The injury came on suddenly and I've watched him carefully over the past few days, there doesn't seem to be any improvement, he now spends a lot of time sitting down. I thought at first the injury was higher up the leg, but I now think he may have broken his middle toe as when he does put it flat on the ground it doesn't seem as straight as the same one on the other foot. I'm fairly sure he/she's a cockerel so don't really want to be spending a lot of money on vets bills only for him to be joining that great coop in the sky when he starts crowing, but I'd hate to leave him in pain. I know it would be best to put him/her out of his misery now but I can't be certain about his/her gender yet and don't want to cull until I'm sure. Anyone have any suggestions?

Nails

• Experienced Member
    • www.justgiving.com/Donna-Moon
Re: Broken toe?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 21:47 »
Hi i have a bird that broke her toe, at the time i didn't really know 100% if she was a hen, we took her to the vets and had it amputated, cost us £103 she has just finished sitting on 18 eggs, but she is now very depressed since we took her babies away
Dont count ya chickens till they hatch!!!!!

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 21:49 »
I wondered whether to try and splint it. The chick (Pingu) seems happy enough and is eating ok but is obviously getting very tired from limping around all day.

Nails

• Experienced Member
    • www.justgiving.com/Donna-Moon
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 22:01 »
could try a couple of matchsticks

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 12:15 »
I've tried to get a photo of the foot, it's not very clear but does anyone have any suggestions?
Pingu's bad foot.JPG

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 12:42 »
the whole foot looks to be curled under and therefor I would take him/her to the vets, the leg could be dislocated. I had this with a chick and she could stand and hobble with her toes all curled under - my vet clicked the leg back into place and then her toes went the right direction.
Staffies are softer than you think.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 16:18 »
I think you could be spot on with the diagnosis Joyfull, it seems to drop slightly from the hip. I phoned the vet and explained the situation to him. He said they wouldn't do anything for it and it was best to put it to sleep :ohmy: so much for the caring vet profession. I'm going to have a better look at it tonight when there's someone else to hold him, but if it is dislocated he/she must be in pain and the outlook is not good.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 16:31 »
guess I am lucky with my vets as he has twice manipulated the joint and popped it back into the socket (sadly in the end it was after the third time thought that the socket was too shallow for my chick and so I had to do the deed  :() but yours is not a chick so should be ok to manipulate and pop back in ok. If it is left out too long out of the socket the ligaments and nerves can become damaged and often do not recover so perhaps this is what your vet is thinking.

Jeanette

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 17:11 »
She looks like she needs a chiropractor if there is such a thing that will sort out chickens. But i dont think there is. :lol:

xx
? broken leg

Started by yellowpenguin on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 09, 2010, 09:48
by yellowpenguin
xx
Broken egg?

Started by PaulineM on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post August 22, 2010, 18:59
by PaulineM
xx
Broken egg

Started by flimbin on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 06, 2010, 17:15
by flimbin
xx
broken toe

Started by Daisycow on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 03, 2008, 20:59
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.281 seconds with 37 queries.