Sore eye?

• 9 Replies

Beano

Sore eye?
« on: June 05, 2010, 11:42 »
I wonder if anyone can help please. We bought two cream legbars 12wks old a week ago.
One is very lively and seems healthy. The other has been quieter from the off. She seems to snooze a lot and one eye seems to cause her problems. She scratches it quite often and will actually walk about with that eye closed. It also seem a bit red. She is eating, drinking and pooing ok and does not seem to be any worse after a week.
Is this something to be worried about? Is there something we can give her or do that might make this better? Any ideas what is causing it?
El.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Sore eye?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 12:14 »
she could have got something in it and this could have led to a bacterial infection. I would take her to a vets to get her checked out and perhaps some anti bacterial and anti inflamitory eye drops. Two of mine are on Gentisone HC Ear drops (human medication that my vet prescribed) for a bacterial eye infection. It cost me £7+ for the bottle.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Beano

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 12:42 »
Thanks Joyfull for the reply. I have phoned the vet and he suggested bathing her eye in cold tea for now and if it doesnt improve to take her in. I'm hoping that will not be necessary  because it is at least half an hour's journey to get to the vets. I dont want to stress her out with that if I can help it.

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 12:45 »
good luck with it, my vets is about the same distance but it's amazing how driving along seems to settle them down, they always arrive calmly  :)

chuckmad

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 17:40 »
I had almost the same problem on friday, but I think the infection had already set in. I went to the vet clinic (didnt need to see the vet) and got an antibiotic for €5.  My hen is almost recovered and i'm going to put her back in with the others tomorrow after her last dose.  Its amazing how much worrying we do about our hens, but if you feel she needs the vet bring her, it'll make you feel better at the very least.

janity u

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 18:44 »
I had almost the same problem on friday, but I think the infection had already set in. I went to the vet clinic (didnt need to see the vet) and got an antibiotic for €5.  My hen is almost recovered and i'm going to put her back in with the others tomorrow after her last dose.  Its amazing how much worrying we do about our hens, but if you feel she needs the vet bring her, it'll make you feel better at the very least.
we have been having the same problem with our silkie and she also has a runny nose. i will be taking her to the vet tomorrow, but this is great advice reading this. we are fairly new to chicken keeping and bought 1 bovine, 2 pekins (with a severe case of little man syndrome) and a silkie. all seemed fine but the silkie was at the bottom of the pecking order. although it didnt appear there was any serious bullying.  last week (luckily we were at home at the time) the silkie (babs) had what can only be described as a fit/heart attack/complete flip out. we took her from the coop appearing dead, blew down her throat and brought her indoors, dripped water onto her beak through the night and in the morning she took a little mash from hand. so, after a few days of willing her to survive she seemed to be on the mend. we have also let her out in the garden with the other chickens, supervised, as she seems very nervous if any of them give her a peck, and runs away. (although she will rear up and flap her wings at them when they are behind wire) we have bought another coop to perhaps put her in with some more silkies, but she has developed an eye problem over the last few days, and when she opens the eye it seems to have a milky film over it. and appears to have no sight in it. we aren't sure if it is related to the fit she had. has anyone else experienced anything like this? also she seems very nervous when in an enclosed space with the other birds. This indicates she has been bullied but does anyone have any advice? will try the tea tip for the eye tonight tho.

Beano

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 09:59 »
Thanks for the replies and janity u  you seem to have had a bit of a times with your little silkie, I'm glad your girl is better chuckman.
To update you on Ruby's progress :- I took her to the vet yesterday morning because she did not look good and was pretty unsteady on her feet. The vet was quite concerned and worried that she might have a respiratory infection. He gave her an injection on Baytryll and I took her home and kept her separate from Pearl. He needed to see her today and at the moment she is at the vets. I have left her there so that I can be at work. She seemed very chirpy this morning and eating lots. I hope that she's on the mend and will keep you informed. I am kicking myself that I didnt take her earlier.

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 10:24 »
fingers crossed - at least with the shot she had picked up so looking hopeful  :)

Often when we see a problem with a chicken the illness is quite far advanced (they have to hide any illness to prevent being picked on) so this is why we always advise a visit to the vets sooner rather than later.

janity u

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 19:33 »
fingers crossed - at least with the shot she had picked up so looking hopeful  :)

Often when we see a problem with a chicken the illness is quite far advanced (they have to hide any illness to prevent being picked on) so this is why we always advise a visit to the vets sooner rather than later.
fingers crossed, it's a very good sign that she is eating. i don't think you should kick yourself for not taking her earlier. i'm new at this but i'm not sure i'll ever be able to judge when i'ts best to leave it to them to sort themselves or take action. hope everything went well when you picked her up from the vet.

Beano

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 16:24 »
Ruby has just finished a course of Baytril and seems to be much better. Her nostril is clear and her eye and she is up and about much more.
There is one problem though:- she seems to have a weak left leg. It seems to collapse under her sometimes and she holds her tail to one side as if to hold her balance. She walks a bit sideways also and seems unsure of jumping off anything.
Is this a sign of a more serious disease?
Or is she going to be ok with a quirkiness? because she seems fine.

xx
Sore Bum

Started by chickenlicken on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 22, 2009, 19:19
by mrs.ploppy
xx
Sore - what could the cause be?

Started by scooter on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post October 02, 2008, 16:17
by scooter
xx
Pic of sore foot

Started by Lynda_T on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 18:10
by Lynda_T
xx
advice on sore leg

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 13, 2009, 20:29
by nzdunn

Page created in 0.517 seconds with 36 queries.