Not laying & creepies around vent - *UPDATE*

• 12 Replies

henpecked

« on: June 15, 2008, 11:57 »
I recently added 2 more chooks to my collection and my original four have gradually stopped laying and now we've had nothing at all for the last week or so. Initially I put the lack of eggs down th the dodgy weather and the disruption of introducing the new girls.

I've just been up to inspect my girlies, they're all looking bright eyed and happy enough however one of them has a messy vent with some kind of mite running around (cleaned the house out last week and didn't spot anything). Is this red mite or something else?? There is what looks like a ball of mould but could be eggs????

I did quickly check over the new birds and didn't spot anything in their feathers.

I'm now unsure what to do!!!!

Vember

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 12:02 »
Sounds to me like you have Lice :(

Have a look here Auntys photo's show the eggs etc really well

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=5250

Hope you get rid of them ok, I had lice a while ago slowed laying down :( Once i'd got it cleared up they laid bigger betta eggs :)

henpecked

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 12:09 »
That looks like the critters! Thanks for that, what did you use to clear them up????

Vember

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 12:13 »
I used Frontline spray as I had it for the dogs, it's ok to use but not licenced for poultry, A squirt round the bum kills the lice straight away :)

The other thing that will kill the Lice is Johnsons Anti-Mite Spray (Insect Spray) You can get this from most pet shops, it wont kill the eggs though so a repeat treatment in 7 days will kill any that have hatched.

Hope that's of some use to you :D

henpecked

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 13:02 »
Just nipped down to the local pet shop but they only have Bob Martin cat Spot On...is this the same as frontline...just trying to check the ingredients online. they do have Johnson's flea spray...might swap and try that.

Grrrr why do these things happen on a Sunday!

UPDATE (forgot to press submit!) swapped it for the Johnson's on the basis of ingredients!!!!!!!

Vember

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 13:08 »
Glad you got something :)

Normally in this house we seem to wait till Bank Holiday Mondays for problems, it's always they way  :lol:

You'll notice a diffrence in you hens almost straight away :)

Take Care

Vember x

henpecked

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 13:48 »
Thanks for the advice vember, you're a star!!

You're right about seeing a difference straight away! Only one was really badly infested the others seem OK but sprayed them all anyway...the pet shop here doesn't have poultry supplies...so OH is off to the next town tomorrow as they have a great place that sells lots of chook stuff.

thanks again!

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 10:50 »
Hi

Was just reading this thread as my one of my chooks seems to have missed an egg in the last few days and last time I cleaned the hutch i noticed a few tiny critters wondering around.  I'll see what happens as it's due another clean today and I'll see what they lay today then give them a check out.

But I thought I'd let you know incase you didn't that you can only get Frontline products from the vet.  They will sell it over the counter though.

I think I've got some left over from the cat so I'll use that if I need to.  Good luck with yours though.  :D

henpecked

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 20:52 »
Fifitrix - thanks for the note about frontline...I had an awkward vet in the past who wouldn't even sell frontline without an expensive consult first!

Vember - WOW! well the Johnson's certainly seems to have done the trick, they've really perked up. I was worried about one of them this evening but it seems she was a bit shocked by the prospect of laying her first egg in a couple of weeks! All fine and dandy now the egg has been expelled!!!!  :roll:

Vember

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 21:31 »
Really pleased all is ok again :D

Just give them another squirt of spray in a week and all will be well

Take Care

Vember

peggyprice

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 23:03 »
Quote from: "Fifitrix"

But I thought I'd let you know incase you didn't that you can only get Frontline products from the vet.  They will sell it over the counter though.

I thought you could only get it from vets, but I got it at Pets At Home last week - they keep it in a locked cabinet & have to ring a bell when they sell it to you, just like the pharmacy counter at Boots  :lol:
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 10:19 »
Quote from: "peggyprice"

I thought you could only get it from vets, but I got it at Pets At Home last week - they keep it in a locked cabinet & have to ring a bell when they sell it to you, just like the pharmacy counter at Boots  :lol:

or selling alcohol to under 21's!!  Be careful what you what you do with that Frontline, Peggy!  Are you sure you're old enough to handle it?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

peggyprice

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 19:14 »
Quote from: "peggyprice"

or selling alcohol to under 21's!!  Be careful what you what you do with that Frontline, Peggy!  Are you sure you're old enough to handle it?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Thought about using it on the under 21's, but decided it would be put to better use on the chooks  :wink:

xx
Chicken with sore vent - Happy Update

Started by Davenports on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 05, 2011, 20:01
by Honeysuckle
xx
my hen has no feathers at the vent and stopped laying

Started by cherylann on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 01, 2010, 21:14
by henamoured
xx
My newly-laying pullets have suddenly stopped laying!

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 07:44
by New shoot
xx
Intermittent egg laying/ thin shells/ no laying at all

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2012, 11:34
by Jomtie

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 36 queries.