Plastic shed for a coop?

• 13 Replies

jools68

Plastic shed for a coop?
« on: January 17, 2016, 20:32 »
Hi,after constantly worrying and trying  keep on top painting and treating the coops  last summer ive decided to go plastic!,ive bought a 6x5ft plastic shed,it has double doors and 1 small window on the side.
Im now wondering how i can convert it somehow so i have ventilation in the winter,summers not a problem as i can leave a door open,they have a large  secure run so our cheeky resident foxes dont cause me any worry,they are part of the furniture  :)
Any ideas welcome,much appreciated,julie  :)

I was a member on here but i had to register again,possibly as ive not posted for a while ..
“If the bee disappeared off the surface of the globe, then man would have only four years of life left. No more bees, no more pollination, no more plants, no more animals, no more man.”.........Einstein

Sassy

Re: Plastic shed for a coop?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 08:47 »
You could look at the types of ventilation they put in livestock trailers they may be suitable. Need to be fitted up high.

The roosting bars need to higher than the nest boxes but not so high that chooks get bumblefoot jumping off. Have a look online for advice bearing in mind that not all is good advice! You could make bars and boxes that are self supporting so do not have to be attached to shed. Nest boxes could be cardboard boxes replaced very often, plastic boxes such as those used for storing tools, nails, screws etc just big enough.  :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

BabbyAnn

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 09:29 »
Nest boxes could be cardboard boxes replaced very often, plastic boxes such as those used for storing tools, nails, screws etc just big enough.  :)

I use a washing up bowl for a nest box in my home made coop - works really well and easy to clean

jools68

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 12:07 »
Hi sassy, grand idea!  :) do the vents have to be as high as possible or could i maybe look for one that would replace the window instead ?
I will have to build a roost bar and frame,i was thinking of having it above the poop tray(like it is now) so they can jump off down onto that and then a bale of straw.

Hi BabbyAnn, i havnt used nest boxes since summer,i pile them up with shavings and now its colder straw too they seem to be happy deciding which spot to nest up themselves :) Im not going to be able to that  in the plastic shed as the nest areas will have to be nearer the ground  so i have been looking at the plastic stacker boxes on ebay  :)

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 11:27 »
Ideally the nest box should be darkish and private or may not use it. The igloo type beds for cats - if you can get a plastic one - would be good. Could always put strips of plastic over it for privacy  :)

jools68

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 21:12 »
Trust me sassy they will be in the  dark :),ive been through the vent pecking problems once and im not about to go through them again!!  :(...the window will be blacked out too and im hoping to stable door one of the doors 3 quarters of the way down to limit the light aswell,if it cant be done with the plastic door then i will refit that door in wood so i can  :)

grinling

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 18:52 »
put a piccy or a weblink for the shed would be helpful.
Could you replace the window with mesh?

jools68

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 22:35 »
Here it is,this is the pic the seller took,i can get some micron material that is used at work on the pot wash room windows(they are high up) but until i get some in my hands i dont know if it will be suitable..
shed.JPG

Mr R Design

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 07:51 »
Google or look on Ebay for adjustable vents and take your pick.

Fit them up in the apex to avoid draughts across the chucks.

Fit them in both apex's to create a cross flow of fresh air above the chucks.

You don't need to cut square holes in the shed just mark the vents out on the shed and then make numerous holes with a hole saw and then fit the vents.

jools68

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 09:28 »
Thanks Mr R Design,there are some terracotta plastic ones on ebay,perfect match  :)

mumbley joe

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 18:02 »
i bought a cheap 6'x4' shed (new) off ebay put a floor halfway up inside cut holes in it for a ramp and entrance built nesting boxes on the side complete with access flap. at the back end at the side i cut another door for storage of straw or hay then the main/front door of the shed was used to gain access to the living part of the coop and food stored underneath, a sheet of plywood seperated the food from the straw.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 18:13 »
How about....

Putting a"floor in at just above/level with the window - making the window mesh, so it's effectively the top of the shed.
then you can put your perches and your nest boxes in the bottom half (using the "perches higher than nest box" rule), and use the top half for storage (food/woodshavings/straw etc) - that floor could be wood with holes, or non-see-through mesh, or anything, to provide ventilation to the bottom half of the shed.

jools68

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 23:41 »
Hi andreadon, thanks  :) Im thinking if i do that then it could just be another breeding ground for red mite which is what im trying to avoid,good idea though cos it would free up space in my potting shed,with working full time now i dont have to keep on top of creosoting my wooden coops so thats  why i bought the plastic one,its still in pieces yet im waiting for some good weather if it ever arrives!...still not drawn a plan for roost bar build   ::) x

grinling

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 13:24 »
Why not have freestanding roosting bars and a freestanding nest box.
With a cat flap in a door it could be used as a dry run with food inside.
Try to have it raised off the ground (pallets) to stop any four legged animals from nesting underneath.

xx
Plastic coop

Started by alisonwo on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 02, 2011, 10:17
by Vecten
xx
plastic lineing coop

Started by joe2369 on The Hen House

32 Replies
Last post March 11, 2012, 22:54
by Markw
xx
Plastic chicken coop comparisons...

Started by Hen 1-0 Fox on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post February 27, 2012, 13:25
by Hen 1-0 Fox
clip
Can I make a plastic outdoor storage box into a coop?

Started by Borge Reroll on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 31, 2021, 21:14
by grinling

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 38 queries.