how to hatch eggs?

• 9 Replies

emotion-2003

• Experienced Member
how to hatch eggs?
« on: November 07, 2012, 18:28 »
hi all,
I am planning to hatch some eggs.but i am not sure should i hatch eggs in incubator or should I buy hen which can be good mum and broody.I thought if i get hens i think it will be more cheap and mum will look after chicks.i have 3 warrens but i havent seen broody yet.
so i need your advice please.
do you think broody hen is better?what breed hen can be good mum?when usually hens get broody?
cheers

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: how to hatch eggs?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 18:35 »
I have only ever used broodies as this is so much easier in my opinion, however you do need to have a broody coop with attached run.
Out of my birds I have found my silkie x's, araucanas and cuckoo maran always go broody. Remember though you really don't want to start hatching until late March, also don't introduce just 1 hen at a time as she will be on her own having to fight off the other birds.
Also do have a good think about what you will do with any cockerels that will hatch (and remember it can be all of them that hatch).
Staffies are softer than you think.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 22:26 »
I agree with joyfull that broodies are best.  I have 2 Wyandotte bantams and they have both done a great job this year.  One even hatched 4 turkeys for me and is still looking after 2 of them even though they are 4 times her size now. 

I would second what she says about cockerels, you need to be prepared at I hatched 5 Light Sussex bantams and all were cockerels.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 22:29 »
yes cockerels are a problem - one week I had to cull 15 boys which broke my heart  :(.

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 07:13 »
I have 5 hens and only 2 have ever been broody in the last 3 years and none have been broody thankfully this year.
We hatched eggs this year andir was a lot of effort but that isn't to say I wouldn't do it again, I would just be more organised next time. It was really fun, our chicks are 11 weeks now and we think we have a boy and a girl, we were lucky to have 1 girl though.
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 10:13 »
I have used a broody and an incubator. You need to consider what you will do with the boys. Now is not the right time but next Spring is. I have had a total of 9 hens over 8 years and only had one go broody this year for the first time! It helps if you research the broodier breeds to keep but is no guarantee :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 11:15 »
I my orpingtons and brahma are always broody. I now have two young silkie x's that should be good broody birds next year. I'll be using them rather than the bigger breeds from now on.
Maybe you could go on a poultry dispatch and dress course? That way you will be able to deal will any boys easily. Also when hatching you could choose duel purpose breeds so you can fatten up one or two boys for the table?

emotion-2003

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 22:41 »
so do you think that hybrid hens can be broody as pure breed and good mum?do you have any experiance with hybrid hen?

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 06:04 »
a lot will depend on what breeds have gone into their make-up. If they are part silkie than yes the chances are they will go broody very easily.

Squibbs

• 2nd Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 17:52 »
I usually do 2 runs of 30 eggs each in the incubator and one run with a broody per year - this is my experience only - as the americans say: YMMV.

Broodies do all the work for you from the incubating to the nurturing keeping them warm and safe and showing then where to eat. However they can be unreliable, they can sit for almost the full time then suddenly decide they are bored with the whole business. I've also had one that attacked her chicks once they were born - pretty unusual behaviour though. And of course that won't be laying eggs for a good couple of months. The hens (and cocks) raised by a broody tend to be more streetwise than those artificially raised.

The advantages for the incubator method are about timing - you know when they are coming and how many you are likely to get (assuming you have a reliable source for your fertile eggs). However you have to be look after them yourself with heat lamp or electric hen for up to 8 weeks or so depending on the time of year. You could have a go at hatching eggs at almost any time - it works commercially, but for us home breeders the usual sources are very seasonal and certainly my cockerel is not very active currently I expect fertility would be very low.

There's plusses and minuses to both methods and you can't beat the sight of the mother leading her chicks around the garden 

BUT make sure you have a plan for the boys - rehoming is very difficult unless you have a properly rare breed - Don't assume someone will take them off your hands (except for the pot maybe) Personally I grow mine on until they get started on the crowing then I despatch them, skin them and boil them up before stripping the carcasses and freezing for a source of chicken meat for curries, pasta etc (they don't roast well)

Good luck with whatever you decide - raising chicks is lovely whichever way you go.
My maths shows that bird is equal to or greater than the word...

xx
If eggs don't hatch can i replace eggs under broody hen?

Started by ---Snakey--- on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 08:20
by Sassy
xx
Eggs to hatch

Started by slowef on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 21, 2007, 07:31
by slowef
xx
eggs about to hatch need some help

Started by silverteen on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 04, 2012, 09:20
by joyfull
xx
Eggs due to hatch

Started by Thompson24 on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post May 31, 2009, 14:44
by nnbreeder

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 33 queries.